Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13
Shlama Akhi Mike,

I'm going to quote from Janet M. Magiera's "Aramaic Peshitta New Testament Translation with Explanatory Footnotes Marking Variant Readings, Customs, and Figures of Speech."

If truth be told, this is really the Western PeshittO, instead of the Eastern Peshitta, which I think Janet Magiera should have been clearer on. Perhaps somebody else who reads Syriac can quote the Eastern Peshitta text for you, but let me give you these English readings from Magiera's translation.

Ephesians 1:13 says, "In him also, you heard the word of truthfulness, which is the gospel of your life, and in him, you believed and you were sealed with the Holy Spirit that was promised."

Acts 2:33 reads, "And this is he who is elevated at the right hand of God and received from the Father the promise concerning the Holy Spirit. And he has poured out this gift that behold you see and hear."

Acts 2:39 reads, "For the promise is to you and to your children and to all those who are far away, those whom God will call."

Galatians 3:14 reads, "The blessing of Abraham would be on the Gentiles by Jesus Christ and that we would receive the promise of the Spirit by faith."

Luke 24:49 reads, "And when those who were with him saw what happened, they said to him, 'Our Lord, should we strike them with swords?'"

I see no where in (Magiera's) Luke 24:49 that the word "promise" resides.

The P'shitta New Covenant is similiar to the Byzantine New Testament in many respects (but by no means are they the same text), have you checked the Byzantine NT for these verses?

That might give you other leads.......but I'm not certain.

I hope that this helps until someone else can give you the text's directly from the Eastern Syriac NT.

Shlama, Albion

Messages In This Thread
"The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 - by Mike Kar - 08-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Re: "The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 - by *Albion* - 08-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Re: "The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 - by ograabe - 08-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Re: "The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 - by ograabe - 08-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Re: "The Promise" in Ephesians 1:13 - by Mike Kar - 08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Re: Visiting "the Promise" again - by Mike Kar - 08-12-2008, 09:53 PM