Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eastern and western
Some more Peshitta/PeshittO Variants:

I finished reading 'The Way International Aramaic/English Interlinear' gospels last night.

The good news:

It seems to follow the word order of the Eastern text of the P'shitta N.T. EXCEPT near the end of John's gospel (John 21: 15-17) where in the P'shitta it is:

"feed my lambs"

"feed my sheep"

"feed my ewes"

In this version it is:

"feed my lambs"

"feed my sheep"

"feed my sheep"

Maybe I'm straining at gnats here, I don't know.

The bad news:

Looking forward to Acts 20:28, It has the Western (Monophysite) variant of this verse:

"Watch therefore, over yourselves and over all the flock over which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, that you feed the church of God which he purchased with his blood."

The Eastern P'shitta text has "that you feed the church of Messiah", of course.

On the other hand, I THINK that this *might be* the Eastern text of the P'shitta of Hebrews 2:9:

"But we see him who was humbled lower than the angels, this same Jesus, because of the suffering of his death, both glory and honor are placed on his head. "For APART FROM God, he tasted death on behalf of everyone."

(The PeshittO has "By the Grace of God, he tasted death on behalf of everyone.").

Here's Hebrew's 2:16

"For he did not assume [his nature] from the angels, but he assumed death from the seed of Abraham."

To give credit where credit is due, these Assyrian translators hired by The Way International said:

"This Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament is presented to the workman of God's word to assist him in rediscovering the original word of God.

THIS IS NOT THE ORIGINAL (my caps), but the text is similiar to the Peshitta version in use during the fifth century in the Eastern church........."

I still think that this is a very powerful translation, but one must realize that SOME of it follows the Western (Monophysite) Peshitto and NOT The Eastern Peshitta.

With THAT said, I still endorse this version.........but I can't wait for Andrew's MARI/P.E.A.C.E. translation of the Eastern P'shitta text to be released!!

Postby Albion on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Messages In This Thread
eastern and western - by Yochanan5730 - 07-07-2008, 02:19 AM
Re: eastern and western - by *Albion* - 07-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Re: eastern and western - by *Albion* - 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Re: eastern and western - by *Albion* - 07-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Re: eastern and western - by *Albion* - 07-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Re: eastern and western - by *Albion* - 07-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Re: eastern and western - by gbausc - 07-09-2008, 10:48 PM