Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matthew 23:3 'they say' vs 'he says'?
This question is based on a book, written by Nehemiah Gordon 'the Greek Jesus vs the Hebrew Yeshua'.

In that book, he has examined the Shem Tov hebrew Matthew. Asides from the fact, that also Nehemiah Gordon finds a lot of that manipulated, he also finds lines, that seem original.

For example, in Matthew 23, where Jesus speaks against the Pharisees according to the Greek text, He seems to say: "Do according to what they say, but not according to what they do!"

But would Jesus -really- encourage his disciples, to DO what they Say? That would be a huge contradiction, since the Pharisees were asking things which were not in the Tanakh and caused a great burden on common people.

So, the clue of his story: "The hebrew does not write 'do as THEY say' but do as 'HE' says'. The 'He' would refer to Moses as refered in vs 2.
2 And he said to them, The scribes and the Pharisees sit on the chair of Moses.
3 Therefore whatever they tell (he = Moses says?) you to obey, obey and do it, but do not do
according to their works; for they say and do not.

The hebrew word for 'they' is not 'they' but he, as Gordon states. (ps: I'm not being complete in argumentation, just a short note of his story!)

MY QUESTION: What does the aramaic text show about this? Is it also allowing 'he' instead of 'they'?
distazo Wrote:This question is based on a book, written by Nehemiah Gordon 'the Greek Jesus vs the Hebrew Yeshua'.

In that book, he has examined the Shem Tov hebrew Matthew. Asides from the fact, that also Nehemiah Gordon finds a lot of that manipulated, he also finds lines, that seem original.

For example, in Matthew 23, where Jesus speaks against the Pharisees according to the Greek text, He seems to say: "Do according to what they say, but not according to what they do!"

But would Jesus -really- encourage his disciples, to DO what they Say? That would be a huge contradiction, since the Pharisees were asking things which were not in the Tanakh and caused a great burden on common people.

So, the clue of his story: "The hebrew does not write 'do as THEY say' but do as 'HE' says'. The 'He' would refer to Moses as refered in vs 2.
2 And he said to them, The scribes and the Pharisees sit on the chair of Moses.
3 Therefore whatever they tell (he = Moses says?) you to obey, obey and do it, but do not do
according to their works; for they say and do not.

The hebrew word for 'they' is not 'they' but he, as Gordon states. (ps: I'm not being complete in argumentation, just a short note of his story!)

MY QUESTION: What does the aramaic text show about this? Is it also allowing 'he' instead of 'they'?

Shlama Akhi Distazo:
The Peshitta agrees with the Greek text against the Shem Tov Hebrew Matthew 23:3. The quote from Matthew 23:3 "whatsoever he (Moses) say's to you do." is unique to the Shem Tov. The changed quotation is a fabrication, though it is compelling to some who seem to think that it clarifies the text.
In actual fact, Jesus is affirming the keeping/observing the LAW of Moses. That's the good part. It is clear from the text (including the Shem Tov) that Jesus does not fault the Scribes and Pharisees for their zeal for the LAW of Moses but for their hard-hearted and merciless interpretation of the LAW. Paul elaborates on the futility of a man, "who has a zeal for the LAW but not according to knowledge." (Romans 10:2)
The "works of the LAW" are not the equivalent of eternal salvation because no one is justified by Torah Observance but by faith in Jesus Christ.(Galatians 2:16) The LAW, by being the absolute indictment of sin in the flesh can only reveal the deep need of humanity for eternal salvation. Salvation comes by faith in the substitutional sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who perfectly kept the LAW and died in our place to save us from our sins. Sin is defined as the breaking of the Law of Moses.

Shlama,
Stephen P. Silver
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- w -->
Quote:But would Jesus -really- encourage his disciples, to DO what they Say? That would be a huge contradiction, since the Pharisees were asking things which were not in the Tanakh and caused a great burden on common people.

I dont see why not. I think all Jesus was doing was telling them to respect the authorities rather than resist them.
I think he was, as usual, emphasising that one must change inwardly to taste the Kingdom