Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Social Engineering'
Shlama Friends of Messiah,

I would have posted this in the "Technical Section", but it's important enough that some folks might not read it there, I'm afraid.

I doubt that this will happen to anyone else here because the person was after ME, or more correctly, after the computer that I used at that time.

'Social Engineering' means that a hacker, cracker, or some other form of socio-path, could "engineer" a way to get you to finally co-operate with their dark, and devious schemes.

In this case, this person joined this list in January, and wrote several posts that might be taken as showing a real interest in our main subject matter here; Aramaic Primacy, AND things Hebraic.

At least one post played on my emotions telling me how this person admired my spiritual views (playing on the old, old sin of VANITY) and what I write about here at Peshitta.org.

This was done very smoothly, maybe even professionally, but slowly moving towards enticing me to let this person send me an article that he or she wrote......to my personal e-mail address.

This was a long, but rather ingenious way to pull off a computer hack, but in the end, it worked.

Now one would think that after all that I've been through, that I would have had the good sense to simply have said: "No, I don't give out my e-mail address".

But like a dummy, I eventually went along with this plot.

The results don't matter now, because I've got a different computer now.

But to those who think that your "safe" using a MacIntosh Computer, think again.

Now, if this can happen to ME right here, it might happen to someone else as well.

So: NEVER, NEVER, for ANY REASON, nor IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, give out your personal e-mail address to ANYONE, unless you KNOW THIS PERSON and TRUST THEM COMPLETELY AND *ABSOLUTELY* WITH YOUR COMPUTER.

Or something VERY BAD could happen to your computer. As it did to OURS.

So, don't be a dummy like ME, it's NOT called "Social Engineering", for NOTHING. Because a person wines and dines you, and tells you how great a person that he or she considers you to be.........doesn't mean that that person does NOT have some nefarious and ulterior motive, for all that he or she has done, and said, to you.

BUT.....it could be only 'a shell game' to get you to make a move that exposes your weaknesses (or in this case, your computer's weaknesses) to them.

So, now you know what "Social Engineering" is all about. DON'T FALL FOR IT, like I did!

Shlama, Albion