Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Peter 5:2
Shlama Akhay,

The Peshitta Text of 1st Peter 5:2 has a word that the Greek texts don't have. At first I didn't see the importance of this until comparing other Scriptures. I'll highlight the word that the Greek texts do not have.........

1Pe 5:2 Feed ye the flock of God which is committed to you: have care [for it], spiritually; not from compulsion, but voluntarily; not for base gain, but with all your heart;

Paul had a hard time with Corinthians because....

1Co 3:1 And I, my Brethren, could not talk with you, as with spiritual [persons], but as with the carnal, as with babes in Messiah.

Paul prayed that the Colossians would not just have a general, all-purpose understanding but instead....

Col 1:9 Therefore we also, from the day we heard [of it], have not ceased to pray for you; and to ask that ye may be filled with a knowledge of the good pleasure of God, in all wisdom, and in all spiritual understanding;

When Peter admonished the Christians he was writing to, he told them to "crave the word"
and here's what he compared the Word to....

1Pe 2:2 And be like infant children; and crave the word, as being the pure spiritual milk by which ye are nourished up to life;

And instead of literal temples and literal sacrifices.....

1Pe 2:5 And ye also, as living stones, are builded and become spiritual temples, and holy priests, for the offering of spiritual sacrifices, acceptable before God, through Jesus the Messiah.

And instead of a brand new convert or somebody that just attends church to show off their Easter wardrobe....

Gal 6:1 Brethren, even if a man be overtaken in any trespass, ye who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; looking to thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

Anyway, this extra word the Peshitta has, namely "spiritually," takes on extra importance when you compare other Scriptures with the words "spiritual" or "spiritually."

Shlama w'Burkate, Larry Kelsey