Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters
Dear Dave,

Last night I sat down and annotated, and wrote in red, the correct readings in my copies of 'The Way International's Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament'.

I think that the translators (whoever they were) were trying for a kind of Eastern Text, because in Luke 22 verse 17 and 18, they said: "Not part of the Aramaic text".

However, in most other places, they went for the Western Peshitto text, as their base text to translate from.

How close is the Byzantine NT text to the P'shitta NT text, I'm wondering?

Thanks so much for listing these variant spots in the P'shitta text Dave!

Dave said;

"There are very few significant differences in the texts found in both editions. There are a few verses in The critical edition - (Luke 22;17,18, Acts 8:37 & Acts 15:34) not found in Peshitta mss., but supplied from Palestinian Syriac (If my memory is correct). The famous differences are Acts 20:28 and Hebrews 2:9, but there are others as well. Hebrews 2:16 is one verse; John 16:27 has:"I have come forth from God" in The Western text, The Eastern has "I have come forth from The Father.". Matthew 6:32 in the Western has:"The Gentiles are seeking all these things...' The Eastern has :"The Gentiles of the world are seeking all these things..." There are others, but the vast majority I have found are insignificant."

Shlama, Albion

Messages In This Thread
Re: Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters - by Karl - 01-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Re: Peshitta NT in "Hebrew" characters - by *Albion* - 01-25-2008, 06:30 PM