Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linguistic or pronunciation changes?
Shlama,

This would likely account for the differences cataloged by my great grandfather in certain words and phrases compared to the Aramaic Peshitta and the manuscripts that he used for his codex which he claimed to be "older than the current holy text" (I can not substantiate this claim as of yet). Some of these differences might show a change that occurred between the original autographs (?) with the endings of certain words. He cataloged words that the manuscript he used showed endings with the "ah" sound which now appear in the Estrangela with the "os" sound. I jumped on this as soon as I saw Dave Bauscher's post concerning Codex W and those Aramaic seals/signatures. It appears that the same script used in those seals is the same script copied by my grandfather comparing three different scripts, 1)possibly Herodian, 2)Estrangela and 3)a modern Hebrew script.

I began comparing the use of the word for "Athena" in the Aramaic Peshitta and my great grandfather's codex after Dave posted about Codex W. This is where I found the difference between "ah" and "os". This could simply be a minor linguistic difference as the Aramaic language continued to develop or as it was used among certain Assyrian tribes and CoE scribes. Just a thought. I'm running on a lot of theory because I haven't had a lot of time yet to explore all of the manuscripts and journals I have at my disposal. Sometimes I'm inclined to think that this particular codex is a recension rather than a copy of anything older than the Estrangela as my great grandfather could have been mistaken or he could have been mislead by the person who permitted him to copy the manuscript in which he claimed was older.

Ya'aqub

Messages In This Thread
Linguistic or pronunciation changes? - by yaaqub - 01-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Re: Linguistic or pronunciation changes? - by yaaqub - 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM