Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
false messiah or antichrist?
Shlama Akhi Paul,

I was hoping you could help me with these readings in 1 John:

1John 2:18-19 my sons, it is the last time: and as you have heard, the false meshiha cometh; and now there are many false meshihas, and from this we know that it is the last time. From us they went forth, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, with us would they have remained. But they went forth from us, that it might be known that they were not of us. (Etheridge)

1John 2:18-19 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us. (KJV)

1John 2:22-23 Who is a liar, if not he who denieth that Jeshu is the Meshiha? and this (one) is a false meshiha. He who denieth the Father, denieth also the Son; and he who denieth the Son, disbelieveth also the Father. Whoso confesseth the Son, the Father also confesseth. (Etheridge)

1John 2:22-23 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. (KJV)

1John 4:1-4 MY beloved, believe not all spirits, but discern the spirits whether they be from Aloha; because many false prophets have gone forth into the world. By this we know the Spirit of Aloha: Every spirit who confesseth that Jeshu Meshiha hath come in the flesh, is from Aloha. And every spirit who confesseth not that Jeshu hath come in the flesh, is not from Aloha: but this is from that false meshiha, of whom you have heard that he cometh, and now is in the world already. But you of Aloha are the children, and have overcome them; because greater is he who is with you, than he who is in the world. (Etheridge)

1John 4:1-4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. (KJV)

1) How did the Greek NT come out with "antichristos" while the Peshitta has "false meshikha"? The word "anti" in Greek means "opposition/substitution" while SEDRA says that this Aramaic word means "false/liar/deceiver". What do you think could've gone wrong here with the translation from Aramaic to Greek, or was there some ulterior motive here?

2) Who/what is this "false meshikha"? What is John trying to teach us (from the context of the passage & from the COE interpretation).

I would appreciated your help.

In HIM,
Christina.