Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About George M. Lamsa and Rocco Errico
Paul Younan Wrote:Khati Christina,

That's been a long dream of mine as well. It would be a tremendous resource. However you may or may not be aware that the CoE has always been very resistant to translating the Peshitta into any other language, we haven't even made one in the vernacular (neo-Aramaic) that's spoken today, let alone English.

Back historically too, in China and the Islands of the Pacific these people were trained in Aramaic and mastered it, and then "targummed" in their local language for the benefit of the people.

I hate to say it, but when it comes to this issue the church is even stricter than Islam or Judaism, both of whom have sects that have sanctioned English translations for the benefit of the faithful.

That's why I'm kind of sticking with the Interlinear concept.

Shlama akhi Paul,

I was of aware that the COE is reluctant to translate the Peshitta into other languages but I don't know the reason why. I haven't found an explanation in their own words, can you enlighten me on this matter? I always want to hear an explanation first to avoid jumping to conclusions.

I see that the Interlinear concept does get around the issue without disrespecting the COE tradition, and you did mention that the trained ministers "targummed" in their local languages for the listeners. Well "targumming" doesn't only have be to oral does it? If the COE isn't willing to "translate" the Peshitta into Neo-Aramaic or English, etc. would they consider doing a bilingual edition with the Peshitta Tanakh & NT & a written targum of it?

Actually now that I think of it a targum of the Peshitta would be even better than a "literal translation", it would certainly be a unique to contribution to Bible scholarship. Native Aramaic speakers can explain the idioms, poetry, etc. better than any western Bible scholar. Besides even Yeshua & his Apostles "targummed" their Scriptures in their writings & sermons, so this should'nt conflict with COE tradition, IMO (but I could be wrong).

This is not to discredit others such as Yaaqub, Bauscher, Roth, or even your interlinear but I believe that the western Church does need to hear the Syriac Christian (including COE) perspective of the Scriptures, it's all about making the most reliable NT available to all, in whatever form, be it interlinear, literal translation or targum. And what about English-speaking Syriac Christians? Wouldn't it be better for them have a trustworthy English Targum of the Peshitta which is compiled and approved of by believers, their Priests & Patriarchates as opposed to turning to translations by heretics like Lamsa?

Think of the tremendous spiritual fruits the COE & the rest of Body of Messiah would reap from this! This would definately encourage interest in the study of the language of our Saviour, not to mention dialogue between Eastern & Western Christians, a road to repairing the severed ties between the Western & Eastern Church, and because the return of our Master is getting closer than ever before Church unity has never been more important than it is today.

Of course a Neo-Aramaic "targum" should be given priorty, then moving on to English, etc, etc.

Nothing is impossible, if it is God's will, He will open a door.

Messages In This Thread
Re: About George M. Lamsa and Rocco Errico - by Christina - 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM