Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Stupid Question? Latin Or Armenian New Testaments?
gbausc Wrote:Dear Jerzy,

Good to hear from you! I have noticed quite a few places in the NT where the Vulgate agrees with the Peshitta and the Greek texts do not. The Vulgate appears to have been translated either from a different Greek text no longer found, or possibly was compared to The Peshitta and revised according to it in many places.

Shalom,

Most interesting indeed. Thank you for the welcome, I hope your translations are going well, wish blessings to you and your family.

gbausc Wrote:It seems to be closer to The Peshitta than extant Greek manuscripts, generally.

I have also purchased a book by Dr. Lee Woodard, Kodex W -Old and Holy, in which he presents abundant evidence that Codex Washingtonensis is a first century Greek Uncial Gospels manuscript, dated and signed in many places in very small Herodian Aramaic script. Even the place of writing is written in Aramaic in each of the 4 Gospels. [..]

One more thing about Codex W. Its Greek text defies all classification. It seems to shift from one text to another to another unpredictably, verse to verse, and departs from all Greek texts in many places, which is exactly how I would describe The Peshitta, from my experience translating it in its entirety.

I browsed through the facsimiles of Freerianus (from CSNTM) and in the case of Yukhanan 4:1 Codex W is not on a Peshitta and Vulgate side (it has K-C in that place, i.e abbreviation for "kurios"). Same with Mattai 25:1 (bride is missing in W as in most Greek mss). Of course, this is just a case of two variants, the whole matter requires further investigation.

Jerzy