Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Fonts in Firefox
Shlama `amkhon,

Two questions:

1) Is it possible to change the specific Aramaic (Syriac) font used by Firefox? I downloaded the Meltho fonts from Beth Mardutho a while ago. The version that shows up while I'm using Internet Explorer is the Madnkhaya version while in Firefox it comes up as a choppy (unconnected) form of Serto which I can't read. So how can I use the Madnkhaya version on Firefox?

I should probably mention that I'm using Windows 98 right now (yes, I know, I'm oldschool). When I use another computer with Windows XP, both IE and Firefox have Estrangela installed...

2) Is it possible to save the font size you want? The default font size on Firefox is too small, and the font size immediately larger than that is too big. There's no in-between. Anyway, every time I close the window and open another one it automatically goes back to the default small font size, causing me to increase the font size every time. It literally takes half a second, but it's becoming an annoyance. Any ideas?
Hey Karl,

On Firefox I believe you can change default fonts, but not the ones used in the Interlinear, Lexicon or Forum here....those are fixed.
Hey Paul,

I have no problem with the font on the Interlinear and the Lexicon. I love that font. But which font exactly is used on the forum? Is it the same one? Take a look at this screenshot from a recent post here on the forums:

[Image: 14950483rk3.png]

Those aren't "Estrangelo (V1.1)" I believe. The top image is taken from my IE, the bottom one from my FF. They're set to "Unicode (UTF-8)" in both browsers. I've also tried changing the font in the Options tab in FF to no effect.
Shlama Karl,

If it helps, I made the post you screen captured... it's unicode and was supposed to be with Serto Batnan script but I'm not sure what happened. I looks find on my firefox but your screenshot looks very strange.
Shlama yaaqub,

With Unicode, I'm pretty sure it depends on the font(s) the specific person viewing the text has installed/set. Like I said before, if I go onto my other computer on my network with Windows XP installed, the font for both IE and FF would be Estrangela, not even Serto Batnan. (I'll try to get a screenshot from that computer when I have the chance). Of course, this has nothing to do with what operating system I use or even the browser, but it has to do with the settings on the particular browser I'm using. So I want to know how to change the font settings on FF (or, for that matter IE, since my Madnkhaya font is too small).
Shlama,

To change font preferences in firefox

Windows: click.... tools / options / content

Linux: click...edit / preferences / content

I have no idea how to change ie. I don't use it.
Thanks yaaqub, I tried tinkering around in the Options tab before though and it still didn't change the font. Do you happen to know exactly what I have to change?

I compared the newer version of FF on Windows XP with my version and there are some significant differences. (For one thing, there is no "content" tab.)...
Karl Wrote:Thanks yaaqub, I tried tinkering around in the Options tab before though and it still didn't change the font. Do you happen to know exactly what I have to change?

I compared the newer version of FF on Windows XP with my version and there are some significant differences. (For one thing, there is no "content" tab.)...

Shlama Karl,

I checked FF on a Windows XP machine in another office and they could be running an older version. Under the "content" tab I saw a drop down list of various fonts to make one's default.

I found this on the FF knowledge base site: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Options+window#Fonts_and_colors">http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Options+w ... and_colors</a><!-- m --> with screen shots

Since I don't use Windows myself I really can't give any further information on windows. You might go into the FF forum and ask around though. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/">http://forums.mozillazine.org/</a><!-- m --> if the knowledge base link doesn't provide any useful information.
I'll give those sites a try.

Thank you, yaaqub! Much appreciated.
To change the font:
1. At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the ToolsFirefoxEdit menu, and select Options...Preferences....

2. Select the Content panel.

3. Under Fonts & Colors, use the drop-down menus to select the font and font size of your choice.

4. Click OK to close the Options window.