Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The peshitta icon
Hi styrmirh,

The Aramaic letters in this website's logo are called the "Yudh-Heh", the Aramaic letters "Y" and "H", which form the historical shortened form of the Name of God (YHWH).

Words with which you may be familiar that also contain this shortened form of the Name of God include "Hallelujah" (Praise Yah), "Isaiah" (Yah saves), "Jeremiah" (Yah has appointed), "Elijah" (My God is Yah), etc.

The shortened form actually occurs in scripture (in Psalm 63:4, 68:4, 89:8, Isa. 12:2, Isa. 26:4, etc).

In Church of the East history, this symbol was placed on holy texts such as the scriptures and other material (i.e., liturgical texts, hymnals, etc) in order to warn the reader to treat the text with care and reverence. It is also typically found in the sanctuary of the churches, as in the below pictures.

The first picture is the Patriarch of the Church of the East (Mar Dinkha) consecrating the sanctuary of a parish in Los Angeles. Notice the symbol not only on top of the Peshitta copy in front of him, but also within the center of the Cross.

[Image: md27.jpg]

The picture below is one of our parishes in India. Notice the logo on top of the sanctuary area.

[Image: MarAprem2.JPG]
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
The peshitta icon - by styrmirh - 06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
[No subject] - by Dean Dana - 06-08-2005, 02:46 AM
yes I mean the peshitta.org icon - by styrmirh - 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 06-08-2005, 07:16 PM
[No subject] - by styrmirh - 06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 06-08-2005, 09:58 PM