Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Some Tell Me Exactly What 'Ascension' Means In Aramaic
Greetings,

This is my first post, and it's a question.

Could someone here tell me exactly what 'ascension' means in Aramaic?

I hope that I submitted this question to the right section of the Forum here too. I'm not sure that I did.

I know what the act of 'ascension' is, but I'd like to know the correct defination of the word in Aramaic, or Syriac.

Could you also tell me how to pronounce it too, please?

My e-mail address is; <!-- e --><a href="mailto:alfrededersheim@yahoo.com">alfrededersheim@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->

If you'd like to answer me at my own personal mail box too.

Thank you for your help.

Shlama, Alfred
Hello Alfred,

"Ascension" in Aramaic is pronounced "Sue-laa-qa" pronounced "sue" as in the personal name, "laa" as in "lullaby" and finally "qa" with the q being a very gutteral K sound made by touching the rear base of tongue to the upper palate.

In meaning it is the direct cognate to the English "ascension."
+Shamasha Paul bar-Shimun de'Beth-Younan
[Image: sig.jpg]
In addition to this question, because I was revising Luke 9:51 (for my Dutch translation).
This is translated quite different than Bibles that were based on the Greek Bible.

"when the days for his ascension were completed, so it was, that he set his face to go up to Jerusalem."

So, I cannot understand this. completed? Jeshua was not yet ascended.
SO I understand it should be translated as: "When the days before his ascension were completed..."

Right?

Thanks!
distazo Wrote:In addition to this question, because I was revising Luke 9:51 (for my Dutch translation).
This is translated quite different than Bibles that were based on the Greek Bible.

"when the days for his ascension were completed, so it was, that he set his face to go up to Jerusalem."

So, I cannot understand this. completed? Jeshua was not yet ascended.
SO I understand it should be translated as: "When the days before his ascension were completed..."

Right?

Thanks!

Shlama:
Though the same word is used in Luke 9:51 and Acts 1:11 they are two separate events. The same word sulaqa is used to mean ascend or go up.

Acts 1:11 - and saying to them: Ye Galilean men, why stand ye and look toward heaven? This Jesus, who is taken up from you to heaven, will so come, as ye have seen him ascend to heaven.

Luke 9:27-37 in context with 9:51
Luke 9:27 - I tell you the truth, that there are some standing here, who will not taste death, until they shall see the kingdom of God.
Luke 9:28 - And it was about eight days after these discourses, that Jesus took Simon and James and John, and went up a mountain to pray.
Luke 9:29 - And while he prayed, the aspect of his countenance was changed, and his garments became white and brilliant.
Luke 9:30 - And lo, two men were talking with him: and they were Moses and Elijah,
Luke 9:31 - who appeared in glory. And they were conversing on his departure, which was to be consummated at Jerusalem.
Luke 9:32 - And Simon and those with him were oppressed with drowsiness; and being scarcely awake, they saw his glory, and those two men who stood near him.
Luke 9:33 - And when they began t to retire from him, Simon said to Jesus: Rabbi, it is delightful for us to be here. And let us make here three booths, one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah. But he knew not what he said.
Luke 9:34 - And as he thus spoke, there was a cloud; and it overshadowed them; and they were afraid, when they saw Moses and Elijah go up into the cloud.
Luke 9:35 - And there was a voice from the cloud, which said: This is my beloved Son; hear ye him.
Luke 9:36 - And when the voice had passed, Jesus was found to be alone. And they kept silence, and told no one in those days what they had seen.
"Luke 9:37 - And the next day, as they came down from the mountain, a great multitude met them. "

This in context with....

Luke 9:51 - And when the days for his ascension were completed, so it was, that he set his face to go up to Jerusalem.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->
Akhi Stephen,

Thank you. You are a great resource, as usual.

I considered that verse 28 as well. However, normally when one would go to Jerusalem, they wrote 'to go up to Jerusalem' so I was not sure about it.

Probably, and verse 28 indicates so, this time Jeshua went 'down' to Jerusalem because of a preaching journey in the 'mountains.'
distazo Wrote:Akhi Stephen,

Thank you. You are a great resource, as usual.

I considered that verse 28 as well. However, normally when one would go to Jerusalem, they wrote 'to go up to Jerusalem' so I was not sure about it.

Probably, and verse 28 indicates so, this time Jeshua went 'down' to Jerusalem because of a preaching journey in the 'mountains.'

Shlama:
In Luke 9:51 the phrase d'nazal laYerushalem is used and it simply means to go to Jerusalem, not go down or go up.

[font=Estrangelo (V1.1)]Ml4rw0l Lz0nd hpwcrp Nqt0 hqlwsd Fmwy Nylmtm dkd 0whw[/font] - Luke 9:51
Luke 9:51 - And when the days for his ascension were completed, so it was, that he set his face to go to Jerusalem.

Murdock translates "to go up to Jerusalem" but that's not a precise translation. John Wesley Etheridge translates "d'nazal laYerushalem" precisely as "to go to Jerusalem". Jerusalem is in the mountains of Moriah (the Judean hills). One naturally has to ascend to Jerusalem. This is why one always goes up to Jerusalem, from any direction. The phrase "go up to Jerusalem" has a spiritual and physical connotation.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->