Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aramaic Primacy and "Asia"
1 Corinthians 16
19 The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in their house.

I'm not sure if this point has ever been made in any Aramaic Primacy thread. But in reading the new testament a few weeks ago, It dawned on me the mention of asia in the text.

Specifically it seems like the New Testament seems to switch from mentioning "Israel" in terms of when speaking of specific of the Jews and the middle east, and uses the much more broader term of Asia.

Why I think is this is significant is, that as we know the early Christian faith is generally stereotyped between being a sharp contrast and divide between being Semetic Jews,a nd Gentile Greeks. And infact It seems to me that mentions of Asia in the NT was often just brushed off. as refering to the fact that Jews had immigrated into neighboring regions of Asia etc.

However I got to thinking one day. Typically their are hallmarks when the scriptures speak about those who are of the official Jewish Faith. You speak about things like "The House of Israel", "of Jacob", "The Twelve Tribes", etc.

Anyway this looks to me like a hint or an allusion of to a much broader or larger Aramaic church. Because by using the much broader term of Asia, rather than just israel, it seems like the text is lumping together not only Aramaic Jewish Christians but also the Aramaic ex-pagan converts (who lived in neighboring nations) as well.