Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for Abudar
shlomo oh John,

AramaicScribe Wrote:The concept of auxiliere vowels is new to me, and still confusing. Here is what I think I understand:

1. The auxiliere vowels are ???a,??? pthoHo, and ???e,??? rVoSo.

2. The auxiliere vowels are used to pronounce two or more clusters of consonants without a written vowel.

3. When an initial consonant requires an auxiliere vowel there are two methods employed. One pretends there is an invisible olaf + a in front of the initial consonant, making a closed initial syllable. Ktab would be pronounced as if it were written Aaktab. The other method would place the auxiliere vowel after the initial consonant, so ktab would be pronounced ketab, or katab.

4. From the way you have clustered the ktab inflections, I would guess that consonants vocalized with auxiliere vowels aren???t usually considered to be independent syllables.

Assuming any of the above is correct, I have the following questions:

AramaicScribe Wrote:1. Is there any way of predicting which auxiliere vowel will be used in a particular circumstance?
The axiliere vowel rvoSo is to be used at all times, except when the second non-vowelled consonant is "l, h, H, ' ", then it's a pTHoHo.

These auxiliere vowels aren't written down, but are just pronounced as part of reading.

AramaicScribe Wrote:2. Is there an initial olaf + rVoSo auxiliere vowel?
In front of foreign words that have "shin" or "semkath".

3. Since you have given two different ways an auxiliere vowel can be applied to an initial consonant, Olaph auxiliaire and bryo-to = b??ryo-to, how do you know which method to use?
[/quote]
In case of "b??ryo-to" it has shown up in the Dictionary, and everyone writes it like that, since I've never used this rule I suspect that that is case with alot of them, and that people are just using the auxiliere vowels for two or three consonant, without the initial olaph+vowel combination. Probably the only place you might see this is in poetry or hymn, but I'm not sure I'll have to ask my old Syriac teacher.

Alot of time you apply these auxiliere voewls, or anything else that is not written down, the words are usually pronounced according to the way previous generation have used them, or in what makes it easier for people to pronounce. There is another rule when we place a line above the first consonant of a two non-vowelled consonat , then we don't apply auxiliere vowels, because it doesn't make the pronounciation easier.
Ex: mSHamlyo -> mSHam-lyo
Notice, no auxiliere vowels. Why they decided to this, it all goes back to tradition.

poosh bashlomo,
keefa-moroon

Messages In This Thread
Questions for Abudar - by AramaicScribe - 03-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Re: Questions for Abudar - by abudar2000 - 03-28-2004, 12:19 AM
[No subject] - by AramaicScribe - 03-28-2004, 05:39 PM
[No subject] - by abudar2000 - 03-28-2004, 08:26 PM
[No subject] - by AramaicScribe - 03-30-2004, 07:11 PM
[No subject] - by abudar2000 - 04-01-2004, 08:00 PM
[No subject] - by abudar2000 - 04-01-2004, 09:05 PM
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 04-01-2004, 11:14 PM
[No subject] - by AramaicScribe - 04-02-2004, 07:26 PM