Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matthew 18: 3 - "Turn" or "Change"?
1. Accept the compliment, sestir.  You replied to my Post and you were a great help.  Thnx.

sestir Wrote:I can see no reason why Matthew 18:3 couldn't have been translated from a Greek or Syriac original into the other language

'Zackly, and it is at this point that "Too many cooks spoil the broth".  Who wrote "...turn as a child..." and in what language?  Nicholas of Damascus was there and wrote histories.  He appears to  have been a Jew.  Did he write in Hebrew?  He argued in front of Caesar often - and always won!  He was certainly Hellenized, probably helping Herod install the Greek Ordering of the Court.  Did he "think" in Hebrew?

Perhaps this came from Zakkai at Yavneh.  He had highly detailed knowledge of the inner workings of the Temple as well as specific knowledge of details of the physical buildings and layout of the Temple and Antonia.  He was allowed by Vespasian to survive and teach after the Destruction of the Temple, after which many of those details would have been lost.

Mark 14: 12 - 16 (RSV):

[12] And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the passover lamb, his disciples said to him, "Where will you have us go and prepare for you to eat the passover?"
[13] And he sent two of his disciples, and said to them, "Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him,
[14] and wherever he enters, say to the householder, `The Teacher says, Where is my guest room, where I am to eat the passover with my disciples?'
[15] And he will show you a large upper room furnished and ready; there prepare for us."
[16] And the disciples set out and went to the city, and found it as he had told them; and they prepared the passover.

Here is another Passage that has the same Type of "Richness".  It is incredibly deep and yet there are also incredible problems ("And on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they sacrificed the passover lamb...).  This Passage has puzzled many as well.  "Men" did not carry jars of water, etc.  It shows detailed knowledge of where "The Teacher" stayed.  There is familiarity with the lay-out of the rooms.

It is possible, if you believe such things, that the original word in Matthew 18: 3 was replaced by a Redactor.  As you stated:
Quote:where στραφῆτε corresponds to הפוך., a form of the same word that Peshitta has in Matthew 18:3

"What other words have that "Form", that would mean the same as "Turn/Change", as describing an act of a child "Turn-ing" to make it through a small opening?"

CW

Messages In This Thread
RE: Matthew 18: 3 - "Turn" or "Change"? - by Charles Wilson - 05-23-2019, 03:38 PM