Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
Do you think John 20:31 originally had:
"believing, you may have life in his name"?
"when you believe, you will have in his name the world/age of life"?
(which I'd arrange as "when you believe in his name, you will have the world/age of life")

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "when you believe, you will have in his name the world/age of life."

John 20:31 - But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and (that) when you believe you will have Life in His Name.
       and when ... in his Name - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'and that you, believing, may have Life in his Name'.

Diatessaron 54:24
but these that are written also are that ye may believe in Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God; and that when ye have believed, ye may have in his name eternal life. 

John 20:31
(Etheridge) but these are written, that you may believe that Jeshu is the Meshicha, the Son of Aloha, and that when you have believed you may have in his name the life which is eternal.
[Aramaic:  kh-i-a d'l'ai-l-m:  life of-to- the world(s)/age(s)]
(Murdock) But these are written, that ye may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God; and that when ye believe, ye may have life eternal by his name.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But these things are also written that you may believe that Yeshua is The Messiah, the Son of God, and when you believe, you shall have eternal life in his name.

(Berean Literal) But these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing, you may have life in His name.
(Young's Literal) and these have been written that ye may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing ye may have life in his name.'
(KJV) But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

===================================
Do you think John 21:2 originally had:
"the disciples"?
"his disciples"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "the disciples."

John 21:2 - These were together (there): Simeon Kifa, Thomas, who was called 'the Twins', Nathaniel who (came) from Cana of Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and (still) two others of the disciples .
       the disciples - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads "his disciples."

Diatessaron 54:26
And there were together Simon Cephas, and Thomas which was called Twin, and Nathanael who was of Cana of Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of the disciples. 

Do you think John 21:7 originally had:
"our Lord.... our Lord"?  "the Lord.... the Lord"?
"Simon heard"?  "Simon Peter heard"?
"to come to Jesus"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "our Lord.... our Lord," "Simon heard," and "to come to Jesus."

John 21:7 - The disciple whom Jesus loved said to Kifa, "It is our Lord!" When Simeon heard that it was our Lord, he took his robe, girded himself because he was naked, and jumped into the sea to go to Jesus.
       our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Lord'.
       Simeon - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Kifa'.
       jumped - literally, "threw himself."

Diatessaron 54:31
And that disciple whom Jesus loved said to Cephas, This is our Lord. 
And Simon, when he heard that it was our Lord, took his tunic, and girded it on his waist (for he was naked), and cast himself into the sea to come to Jesus. 

John 21:7
(Berean Literal) Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved says to Peter, "It is the Lord." So Simon Peter, having heard that it is the Lord, put on the outer garment, (for he was naked), and he cast himself into the sea.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And that disciple for whom Yeshua had great affection said to Kaypha, “This is Our Lord.” But Shimeon, when he heard that he was Our Lord, he took his tunic, girding his loins because he was naked, and he threw himself into the sea to come to Yeshua.
(Young's Literal) That disciple, therefore, whom Jesus was loving saith to Peter, 'The Lord it is!' Simon Peter, therefore, having heard that it is the Lord, did gird on the outer coat, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea;

Do you think John 21:12 originally had:
"dared ask him who he was"? "dared to ask him, 'Who are you?'"? 
"our Lord"?  "the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "dared ask him who he was" and "our Lord."

John 21:12 - Jesus said to them, "Come here for breakfast!" Not one of the disciples dared to ask Him who He was, for they knew it was our Lord.
       our Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Lord'.
       who He was - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Who are you?'

Diatessaron 54:36
And Jesus said unto them,. Come and sit down. And no man of the disciples dared to ask him who he was, for they knew that it was our Lord. 

John 21:12
(Berean Literal) Jesus says to them, "Come, have breakfast." But none of the disciples dared to ask Him, "Who are You?" knowing that it is the Lord.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And Yeshua said to them, “Come have breakfast”, but none of the disciples dared ask him who he was, for they knew that he was Our Lord.
(Young's Literal) Jesus saith to them, 'Come ye, dine;' and none of the disciples was venturing to inquire of him, 'Who art thou?' knowing that it is the Lord;

Do you think John 21:13 originally had:
"bread and fish, and gave to them"?
"bread and gives it to them, and the fish likewise"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "bread and fish, and gave to them."

John 21:13 - Jesus came and took the bread and the fish and gave them.
       and the fish - in the reading of the Aramaic Peshitta these words are immediately after 'the bread', while in the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR they are at the end of the verse, as an addition: 'and also the fish'.

Diatessaron 54:37
And Jesus came, and took bread and fish, and gave unto them.

John 21:13
(Berean Literal) Jesus comes and takes the bread and gives it to them, and the fish likewise.
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) But Yeshua came near and took the bread and the fish and gave to them.
(Young's Literal) Jesus, therefore, doth come and take the bread and give to them, and the fish in like manner;

Do you think John 21:15 originally had:
"Simon son of Jonah"? "Simon of Jonah"?
"my Lord"?  "the Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Simon son of Jonah" and "my Lord."

John 21:15 - When they had had breakfast, Jesus said to Simeon Kifa, "Simeon son of Jonah, do you love Me more than they do?" He said to Him, "Yes, my Lord, You know that I love You." He said to him, "Feed my lambs!"
       son of Jonah - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta and of the Greek MHT and TR. The reading of the Greek NA28 reads: 'of Jonah'.
       my Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'the Lord'.

Diatessaron 54:39
And when they had breakfasted, Jesus said to Simon Cephas, Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou me more than these? He said unto him, Yea, my Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus said unto him, Feed for me my lambs.

John 21:15
(Berean Literal) Therefore when they had dined, Jesus says to Simon Peter, "Simon _son_ of John, do you love Me more than these?" He says to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I dearly love You." He says to him, "Feed My lambs."
(Aramaic Bible in Plain English) And after they had breakfast, Yeshua said to Shimeon Kaypha, “Shimeon, Bar Yonah, do you love me more than these things?” He said to him, “Yes, my Lord, you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Shepherd my lambs for me.”
(Young's Literal) When, therefore, they dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, 'Simon, son of Jonas, dost thou love me more than these?' he saith to him, 'Yes, Lord; thou hast known that I dearly love thee;' he saith to him, 'Feed my lambs.'

Do you think John 21:20 originally had:
"Simon Kifa"?
"Kifa"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Simon Kifa."

John 21:20 - Simeon Kifa turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved followed him, the one who had fallen against Jesus' chest at the meal and said, “My Lord, who is it that shall betray You?"
       Simeon Kifa - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Kifa'.

Diatessaron 54:44
And Simon Cephas turned, and saw that disciple whom Jesus loved following him; he which at the supper leaned on Jesus' breast, and said, My Lord, who is it that betrayeth thee? 

Do you think John 21:21 originally had:
"my Lord"?
"Lord"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "my Lord."

John 21:21 - When Kifa saw him, he said to Jesus, "My Lord, what about him?"
       my Lord - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'Lord'.

Diatessaron 54:45
When therefore Cephas saw him, he said to Jesus, My Lord, and this man, what shall be in his case?

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 06-20-2020, 11:54 PM