Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic?
When Lk 4:34 was originally written, did it have:
"Leave me (alone)"?
merely "ah"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "Leave me (alone)."

Luke 4:34 - and said, "Leave me (alone)! What do we have to do with You, Jesus, the Nazarene? Have you come to destroy us? I know who You are, You are the Holy One of GOD! ”
       Leave me - or, "Leave me." This is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. In the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR we only find a short exclamation here.
       What do we have to do with you? - literally: 'what about us and what about you ...' (‹Aramean Peshitta and Greek NA28, MHT and TR›)

Diatessaron 6:42
And there was in the synagogue a man with an unclean devil, and he cried out with a loud voice, and said, Let me alone; what have I to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come for our destruction? I know thee who thou art, thou Holy One of God.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
When Lk 5:10 was originally written, did it have:
"catch people to life"?
merely "catch people"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "catch people to life."

Luke 5:10 - Also James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who worked with Simeon. (But) Jesus said to Simeon, "Do not be afraid, from now on you will catch people to save (them)."
to ... save - this text is part of the Aramaic Peshitta, but is missing from the reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR.

Diatessaron 6:3
And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; henceforth thou shalt be a fisher of men unto life.

Luke 5:10
(Etheridge) Even so also Jacub and Juchanon, sons of Zabdai, who were partners of Shemun. But Jeshu said, Fear not, from henceforth the sons of men shalt thou catch unto life.
(KJV) And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.

When Lk 5:19 was originally written, did it have:
"from the roof"?
"through the roof tiles"?

Both the Peshitta and the by-A.D. 175 Diatessaron have "from the roof."

Luke 5:19 - When they couldn't find a solution to bring him in because of the crowd (people), they climbed up on the roof and lowered him from the roof with the cot in the middle, (exactly) in front of Jesus.
no solution - literally: 'no way'.
from the roofing - this is the reading of the Aramean Peshitta. The reading of the Greek NA28, MHT and TR reads: 'between the roof tiles'.

Diatessaron 7:15
And some men brought a bed with a man on it who was paralytic. And they sought to bring him in and lay him before him. And when they found no way to bring him in because of the multitude of people, they went up to the roof, and let him down with his bed from the roofing, into the midst before Jesus.

Luke 5:19
(Etheridge) And when they found not how to bring him in because of the multitude of people, they ascended to the house-top, and sent him with his couch from the roof into the midst before Jeshu.
(KJV) And when they could not find by what way they might bring him in because of the multitude, they went upon the housetop, and let him down through the tiling with his couch into the midst before Jesus.

Messages In This Thread
RE: book of Hebrews: better from Greek, or Aramaic? - by DavidFord - 05-19-2020, 02:11 PM