Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matthew 7:11: <you>
Matthew 7: 7 - 14 (RSV):

[7] "Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
[8] For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
[9] Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone?
[10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?
[11] If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!
[12] So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
[13] "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
[14] For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Hello everyone --

I'm following another Trail again.  The above Passage reads, to me, as another of the "Herod Stories".  Herod builds a Safe Harbor at Caesarea, hocks everything in the palace to buy bread from the Procurator Petronius in Egypt and distributes the bread to everyone regardless of whether people support Herod or not.  Many are worried that this "Goodwill" will lead people astray.  There is a BLISTERING famine throughout Judea and Syria occurring at this time.

There are "Jokes" in this .  Verses 7 - 8 tell of those who would seek any type of help..  The key "Joke" is verse 9.  The Safe Harbor is constructed by dropping giant stones in the harbor to form a breakwater.

Mark 9: 42 (RSV) (Also: Matthew 18: 6):

[42] "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung round his neck and he were thrown into the sea.

If you look up this verse in the Interlinear on this site, you get the important literal, "...millstone of a donkey...".

Verse 10 continues: "Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent".  A nod to the Story of Moses and the Staff.
Which leads us to verse 11. 

"[11] If you then, who are evil...

Fairly simple, yes?  Maybe.

The Interlinear has "...and if...<you>...who are imperfect...".

Precisely at the point where an identifier for "Herod" would be found is "<you>" in inequality brackets.  Why?  We may find the most trivial reason here but I ask for some help. 

Thank you,

Charles

Messages In This Thread
Matthew 7:11: <you> - by Charles Wilson - 03-25-2018, 03:45 PM
RE: Matthew 7:11: <you> - by Thirdwoe - 03-28-2018, 04:01 AM
RE: Matthew 7:11: <you> - by Charles Wilson - 03-28-2018, 06:53 AM
RE: Matthew 7:11: <you> - by Charles Wilson - 03-28-2018, 07:40 PM
RE: Matthew 7:11: <you> - by Thirdwoe - 03-29-2018, 04:50 AM
RE: Matthew 7:11: <you> - by aux - 04-01-2018, 08:11 PM