Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Look at Salted / Scattered Mark 9:49
Shlama,

Hope all are well in our Saviour.  I'm deep in translating the Gospels, and when I came to Mark 9:49, a detail stuck out at me that I think merits the confirmation / dismissal of others here.

Part of this involves something that was posted here many moons ago, to be found on this thread:
http://peshitta.org/for/showthread.php?t...+scattered

Alrighty, let's get into it!

The passage of Mark 9 has Messiah speaking about the great mistake of causing a "little one" to stumble / be offended (v. 42).  He then goes into the famous declarations about the cutting off of hand / foot (v. 43-46), and the plucking out of the eye (v.47-48), if such organs are offending parties.  He says it is better to enter into life maimed than to enter wholly into Gehenna.

He then brings up in v. 49 the line of particular interest to us: "for all will be salted with fire, and every sacrifice with salt shall be salted."

That's the typical translation.  

However, NETHM'LAKH / METHM'LAKH (depending on which Aramaic manuscript you are reading) can mean either "salted" or "scattered."  Verse 50 goes on to have Messiah speak further about "salt."  The link referred to above makes the sagacious argument that the term should be understood rather in its "scattered" application, so that "vaporized / destroyed" is the intent of Messiah's discussion.

After looking at it while translating the entire passage, I propose that this is a second instance of Messiah utilizing a Janus Parallel poetic form, where the term NETHM'LAKH / METHM'LAKH is the pivot point of the JP.  Taken with the preceding context of "cutting off / plucking out" - that is, "separating" offending body parts here, the term makes perfect sense to be viewed as "scattered," but when we get to the second half of v. 49, and the rest of v. 50, the term makes perfect sense to be viewed in its other definition as "salt."

I personally see this as a clear candidate for a second example of Messiah utilizing the Janus Parallel method of teaching.

What say the Body?

in HIM,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Another Look at Salted / Scattered Mark 9:49 - by Burning one - 05-09-2016, 12:41 AM