Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Peshitta Interlinear and Plain English modules for E-Sword
(02-21-2016, 02:18 AM)gregglaser Wrote:
(02-20-2016, 06:43 PM)cgjedi Wrote: Unfortunately, David's version has some very serious translation errors in it that deny the very words of Jesus Christ.  When pointed out in an email to him, he does not accept this correction.

What's with the randomly general accusation? Imagine if your words were simply turned on you generally, "Unfortunately, cgjedi's version has some very serious translation errors in it that deny [sic] the very words of Jesus Christ. When pointed out in an email to him, he does not accept this correction."

Translation is inherently flawed.  It will never capture the literal text.  The translator, the scribe, is plagued by this situation.  In David's favor, he trusts the Father.  Just like Chuck (ThirdWoe), I have no doubt he would jump off a cliff to save the Khabouri's codex.  (And as these two are both falling, with smiles on their faces, I imagine they would quickly reconcile their differences).

Do you know anyone else other than David who has reached the entire world with the Peshitto?  For example, you can find David's work on BibleHub.   For countless centuries people (like me) didn't even know the Aramaic was a thing to consider, but because of David's efforts in this generation, whenever you type a bible verse into google, etc, you find the Aramaic right there before your eyes.  And all you need to do is click 'interlinear' and the Peshitto text is brought right to you.  Is this nothing to the Father in heaven?

So before you point the finger at a scribe, remember that 'fire' and 'mirror' are the same word in Aramaic, and so much more -- the translator's job is hopeless in the sense that there will never be any translation good enough to match the original.  But if you forgive the translator as you would like to be forgiven, then you will find something golden.

It’s hard to translate ܐܢܐ ܐܢܐ, because it’s a Semitic idiom.  Indeed, when a word is repeated in Aramaic back-to-back, it is usually an expression in its primary meaning. See e.g., Mark 6:7; John 13:29; Deuteronomy 16:20.  But consider also Matthew 27:46; Mathew 5:37.

In John 9:9, ܐܢܐ ܐܢܐ is used by a blind man to say “I am who I am”.  Obviously, no one assumes that he stuttered “I I”.  And importantly, the Jewish people also did not stone him or even accuse him of blasphemy, because it was obvious that the blind man was not claiming to be God.  That is, the context of ܐܢܐ ܐܢܐ made it clear that he was simply claiming ‘it is I’, the same blind man you knew before I could see.  Like most idioms, ܐܢܐ ܐܢܐ is completely and totally ambiguous outside context.  And consequently, context gives it meaning.

So it’s hard to fault a translator of an idiom for desiring to convey the greater meaning of the phrase as they read it in context

With that said, there is one phrase that absolutely boils my blood when I read it mistranslated out of context by non-literalists to imply infinite time and space:  ܥܠܡ ܥܠܡܝܢ.  The expression is completely finite and fixed in worlds/ages, and routinely qualified in context, yet non-literalists routinely claim it to be infinite in all contexts and all directions.  And that makes me so hot-tempered, I can't contain myself from writing my objections.  Theoretical physicists do the same thing today – they manually insert infinities into their equations (simply because calculus can not handle very large finite numbers, even with computers, so mathematicians manually insert an infinity operator to simplify the equation for processability), and then voila, they find infinity in their results, and then misleadingly claim that everything is infinite.  So the infinities are not based on actual experimental data, but rather upon raw theory and mathematical convenience in the current state of calculus. That’s how they are currently convincing the world to abandon God and morality in favor of what they call ‘the multiverse’ -- where every conceivable universe simultaneously exists, including universes with unspeakable depravity (remind anyone of infinite hell?). Meanwhile, countless physicists (like Princeton physicist Paul Steinhardt) are admonishing them about their infinite multiverse nonsense, “Our universe has a simple, natural structure. The multiverse idea is baroque, unnatural, untestable and, in the end, dangerous to science and society.”

But these multiverse physicists preach their non-literal data confidently, and do not caveat their work as non-experimental, and so the public just eats it up because they don't know any better.  And it boils my blood.

So there is indeed a heavy price to pay when literal words and finite numbers are simply abandoned in man’s quest for glory in religion & science. 

I think it’s proper that we have passion for the literal text, and I don’t mean to rain on anyone’s passion here, including you cgjedi, and you too Chuck, and you Dave. And me too, because I'm passionate and I can't f+%^ing help it.  It’s good to hold translators accountable to the literal text.  For if nobody stands for literal accountability, then we might as well just infinitely infinite whatever.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Peshitta Interlinear and Plain English modules for E-Sword - by gregglaser - 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM