Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Error in Peshitta 1Co. 5:8? - Leavened Bread
Dear Brother,

I am so grateful for this discussion, and what you have shared. You pointed me to areas that I hadn't yet considered, and so I'm truly thankful. It truly has been "iron sharpening iron," and a blessing.

I believe, however, that we've reached the extent of productive dialogue on this topic, since your last post didn't seem to contain any new information that wasn't already covered. Rather, it shows that in some places you haven't even considered what I wrote, or else you are ignoring it and just repeating yourself.

I don't want to repeat myself, other than to say, "Thank you once again for sharing your insights." I've learned much, and if, for the sake of others who may read this, I can leave any one thought, let it be this:

This topic of the crucifixion-resurrection timeline demonstrates to me, as much as any other topic that I've yet studied in Scripture, the dire importance of studying Scripture in its original (historical, linguistic, etc.) context to arrive at proper conclusions.

There are certainly many parts of Scripture that can legitimately be interpreted in various ways, and applied in various fashions, but topics that deal with historical events and facts, such as this one, may only have one correct interpretation. In such a case, a failure or refusal to apply the proper Hebraic lens will often lead to wrong conclusions.

I don't mean this as a slam to anyone, but rather as an invitation to an awesome and exciting journey for all who would seek to know Meshikha further--as he really was--as a Torah-observant Judean who taught his followers that the Torah is the permanent standard for mankind.

This is one of the primary reasons that I was drawn to the Peshitta in the first place, because my current conclusion is that the Peshitta provides the earliest, most accurate, and authoritative witness to what the (Judean) followers of Yeshua wrote. But the Peshitta is just one of several components that I've come to believe must be applied to one's study in order to get the most original, accurate understanding of the Scriptures. And this issue of the crucifixion-resurrection timeline highlights the importance of studying this way more than almost any other topic.

If anyone would like to supply other angles on this topic that haven't yet been discussed, and especially if you can show my interpretations of Luk 22:15, Mat 26:17, Mar 14:12, Mar 14:14, Joh 18:28, Joh 19:14 to be misguided or wrong, then I'm sincerely grateful. But if you are unable or unwilling to counter me point-for-point, Scripture by Scripture--and with interpretation free of anti-Semitism or replacement theology--then I believe that all which can be accomplished here has been accomplished.

That is why I conclude, at least for now, that Yeshua ate a Torah-based Passover at the end of the 14th / start of the 15th, and he was executed and laid in the tomb on the 15th of Abib, just before the start of the weekly Sabbath (the 16th, which also happened to be the Feast of First Fruits that year). He then rose late Saturday night / early Sunday morning on the 17th of Abib.

But finally, not to forget the original purpose of this thread, as much as I love the Peshitta, unless we are to take Ronen's suggestion on Sunday, October 18th, 2015, 04:20 am regarding Paul's statement in 1Co 5:7-8, then I believe that the Peshitta has an error, or at least an inferior reading the Greek MSS. for 1Co 5:8 (see my previous posts). I mention Ronen's idea because I like his suggestion, and it is the only reasoning that I've seen thus far that could potentially rescue the Peshitta from having an inferior reading to the Greek. Nevertheless, it seems that the Greek may have a superior reading regarding "unleavened bread" in 1Co 5:8.

Shlama amkun,
Thomas

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Error in Peshitta 1Co. 5:8? - Leavened Bread - by Thomas - 12-08-2015, 04:55 PM