Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve's opinion of The Aramaic Scriptures (The Peshitta)
Below you will find part of a discussion on Facebook that I just read through, that I find very revealing, and brings answers to a few questions I had about Steve Caruso's heart and mind regarding The Aramaic Scriptures (The Peshitta).

He seems to think that both the language and words of Jesus and His Apostles have been lost when it comes to The Scriptures, and that what has come down to us in The Aramaic Scriptures, is something very different than what He and they would have spoken and written. Of course Steve is very deceived in his beliefs, if its true that he thinks that way, which looks to be so, and so I think it is important to show what he is saying to people.

Bishop James Clifton Steve, is the Aramaic on the Peshitta.org site (interlinerar link) authentic Galilean Aramaic in your opinion?
[/url][Image: safe_image.php?d=AQBN0V0o9zsFB-9R&w=90&h...&upscale=1]

Peshitta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament
The on-line version of the Church of the East Peshitta New Testament text in Aramaic/English Interlinear Format.
peshitta.org

May 28 at 9:59am · Like

[*]

Steve Caruso The Aramaic on Peshitta.org is Classical Syriac, an Eastern Aramaic dialect from no earlier than the late 3rd/early 4th century. Galilean is in a different branch entirely.
[Image: safe_image.php?d=AQBN0V0o9zsFB-9R&w=90&h...&upscale=1]

Peshitta Aramaic/English Interlinear New Testament
The on-line version of the Church of the East Peshitta New Testament text in Aramaic/English Interlinear Format.
peshitta.org

May 28 at 5:37pm · Like

Bishop James Clifton So the language of Jesus and His disciples is no longer in use anywhere--culturally or ecclesiastically? What did Lamsa speak? Thanks, as I said before, I read and hear different thing regarding Aramaic.
May 28 at 8:46pm · Like

Steve Caruso Indeed. Early Galilean (outside of a few reconstructed bits I speak with my children and am trying to teach others -- which isn't much) is for all purposes "dead". The dialect group descended from it ("Galilean" or the greater "Jewish Palestinian Aramaic" family, a corpus primarily from the Byzantine Era) is seldom used, obscure, and misunderstood to the point that there is no reliable or accessible grammar published in English. Its linguistic culture was eclipsed with the rise of Islam in the 600s-700s. The only surviving dialect in the entire Western Aramaic branch is Ma'loula, and it's as close to what Jesus spoke as Beowulf is to Modern English.

Lamsa spoke Assyrian Neo-Aramaic and Classical Syriac.
May 29 at 6:23am · Edited · Like

Bishop James Clifton So based on what I'm hearing you say, it would appear that none of the Aramaic New Testament translations by anyone is worth even reading or studying, correct?
May 29 at 7:34am · Like

[url=https://www.facebook.com/AramaicSteve?fref=ufi]Steve Caruso Indeed, most of the "Aramaic New Testament" translations from the Peshitta presently on the market -- despite a few insights simply from how Syriac is closer to Galilean than Greek -- are gimmicky and aren't all that useful. To get a better idea of the Aramaic behind Jesus' teachings one would do better with the works of Matthew Black or Maurice Casey.

Something that I'd love to see would be a standard translation, annotated with the readings in the Christian Palestinian Aramaic New Testament and Lectionary, which is contemporary to the Peshitta, but is written in a Western Aramaic dialect (Christian Palestinian Aramaic) which a lot closer to what Jesus spoke in many respects (vocabulary, grammar, and idiom) than Syriac, and has already proven to have a few insights that the Peshitta missed.
[*]
May 29 at 8:25am · Edited · Like

Messages In This Thread
Steve's opinion of The Aramaic Scriptures (The Peshitta) - by Thirdwoe - 09-23-2015, 12:09 AM