Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam the original Gabra
gregoryfl Wrote:In other threads here, the subject of what a Gaw-ra is has been adequately shared. As I was re-reading the Peshitta Tanach of Bereshiyt 2:23, a thought came to me that seems to tie in nicely with the idea of this word also containing the idea of guardian.

The text does not say that Adam became a gaw-ra after the woman was taken from his side. It says that she was taken from his side as a gaw-ra. Simply put, he fulfills both aspects of the word. While she was part of him, he was her gaw-ra (guardian, protector). When she was taken from him and brought to him, he became her gaw-ra (man, husband), in a different way and function.

Any thoughts?

Ronen

Shlama Akhi Ronen:
Gowra, or GaBoR in Hebrew means "mighty one/guardian/protector", and in context father as well as husband. How did Adam protect/guard Khava his wife from sinning? No, Adam was rather cowardly not to act more responsibly before YHVH Elohim. In looking back, hindsight is 20/20 but Adam did not count the cost before his flagrant disobedience. Adam was commanded by YHVH Elohim to do one thing and one thing only....

Genesis 1:17
"....concerning the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you may not eat of it: for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die."

It was YHVH who was "gowra" to both Adam and Khava. Together, they were lavishly blessed in Gan Eden. The expectation upon Adam was that he follow the instructions of YHVH. Did Adam impress upon his wife the dire consequences of their disobedience? I cannot answer that question but As a married man I do know what it is to take the reins firmly, as it were, and lay down the Law at the appropriate time. Adam failed miserably in this solemn task, and both he and his wife suffered the consequences of sin.
Now, Joseph was "gowra" and husband to Miryam; the guardian and protector of Jesus and his mother. Joseph obeyed Alaha, in all that he was commanded. He walked blameless in the halakha of the Torah and was called a righteous man. Young Joseph sold into slavery, grew in grace to become "father" to Pharoah and gowra to his brothers as well as to his father. He had a special affinity with Benjamin whose soul was bound up with the soul of his father. Joseph preserved their lives in Egypt through the famine. Joseph kept himself from sin and he was a righteous man in doing all these things. Actions speak louder than words.

Shlama,
Stephen

Messages In This Thread
Adam the original Gabra - by gregoryfl - 01-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by Stephen Silver - 01-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by gregoryfl - 01-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by Stephen Silver - 01-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by gregoryfl - 01-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by Stephen Silver - 01-16-2015, 11:42 PM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by gregoryfl - 01-17-2015, 12:19 AM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by Stephen Silver - 01-17-2015, 01:59 AM
Re: Adam the original Gabra - by aux - 01-18-2015, 07:47 AM