Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luke 7:35 - "Justified by her ???"
Hello again,

Can someone please show me one single dictionary / lexicon entry, OR one single scriptural cross-reference, OR one single place in ancient Aramaic literature where the word "bnaye" (Luke 7:35) can mean "works / deeds" versus "children" (which I'm starting to believe it really should read in Luke 7:35).

Someone wrote: ""Bna" - As a Verbal root it means To build, To work, as a noun (i.e. Binyan, Bnaya, etc.) it means Building, Work, etc." (with emphasis mine)

I'm a bit peeved to say that this is yet another example of me staying up until 4:00AM trying to verify a single Aramaic primacy claim. Why? Because it's either like a Sherlock Holmes investigation to try and find any citation or documentation to back the claim, or the claim is an outright fabrication (as I've concluded many of these primacy "proofs" to be).

I've just been through Payne Smith, Jennings, CAL, JPM (Margiolouth), Jastrow, and not a single one gives a secondary meaning of work / deeds. They all, with one accord, say that "bna" means "build, edify, building, etc." I've also cross-referenced Scripture itself and found that "works / deeds" is always aibdeh and NEVER bnaye. Someone care to prove me wrong?

Thanks,
Thomas

Messages In This Thread
Luke 7:35 - "Justified by her ???" - by Thomas - 01-13-2015, 08:34 AM