Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Master YHWH" and "I AM"s in the Peshitta
DavidFord--

Simply wonderful Studies. Keep Posting things you see/know. From time to time I'm able to see things. You write:

"John 21:15-17 (Younan)
Now after they had dined, Yeshua said to Shimon Keepa,
"Shimon bar-Yonah [Simon son of Jonah],
do you love me more than these?"
He said to him, "Yes, Mari [my Lord]. You know that I love you." He said to him,
"Tend for me amri [my lambs/ young sheep]."...

I believe the word play goes deeper, based on a Semitic habit that goes back to Sumer. I have Posted on this previously. Pettinato in his study of Ebla (quoting Falkenstein) argues that there are pairings of names with animals - " 'nmmr-Haad" is "Panther of haad" and comes to us as Nimrod. During the Rule of Ebrium in Ebla (c. 2500 BCE), "El" is being replaced by "Yah" and " 'mmr-El", "Lamb of El" becomes " 'mmr-Yah", "Lamb of Yah" which becomes "Lamb of God".

Thus, the word play becomes very deep ( and very old...):

"He said to him, "Yes, Lamb of God. You know that I love you." He said to him,
Tend for me my amri [my lambs/ young sheep]..."

"The phrase "except for his feet" is present in the original Aramaic:

John 13:10 (Younan of peshitta.org)
Yeshua said to him,
"He who has bathed does not need but to wash only his feet,
for all of him is clean..."

Matthew 14: 28 - 31 (RSV):

[28] And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water."
[29] He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus;
[30] but when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."
[31] Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, "O man of little faith, why did you doubt?"

I believe that these 2 passages related very closely. Peter has "bathed" but begins to sink. He must "therefore" wash his feet and this may be the Template for Foot Washing. The Story here is nowhere near any Greek Land, so to speak. It goes back to its roots and the Roots here are not Greek. It appears that sometimes things are left out for a reason (See Mark: "Are we to drown for all you care?" vs. "Master, we are drowning...") I believe the "'...except for his feet..." may be one of those phrases.

DF, I have a request: We look at idioms and they appear in the most in-your-face places. I saw "You must be born again" as an idiom that has been overlooked, probably because it forms the basis for a very important Christian Meaning. It may be an idiom nonetheless. Nicodemus understands the words but not the meaning as is typical of an idiom: "

John3: 4 (RSV):

[4] Nicode'mus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"

By pure happenstance, I found the first appearance of the word "Freedom" in Sumerian as "Amargi", meaning literally, "Return to the Mother". In some Akkadian documents, the word has morphed a bit into "Freeing of Slaves" and the admonition to Nicodemus, "a Ruler of the Jews", may be appropriate, as if to say, "You better get right with God and Free yourself..."

Anything strike you about this word play?

Thank you for your time.

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Master YHWH" and "I AM"s in the Peshitta - by Charles Wilson - 01-21-2015, 03:05 AM