Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Master YHWH" and "I AM"s in the Peshitta
Greek translators of the Aramaic New Testament gave a few transliterations of words and phrases present in the Aramaic original, followed by their explanations. Their explanations are not part of the original, and it's not made explicit, e.g. through the use of brackets, that the explanations aren't part of the original.
For the verses below, a quote from the NIV at biblegateway.com is followed by a quote from Paul Younan's peshitta.org translation of the Aramaic.

* Matthew 27:46
About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ?Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?? (which means ?My God, my God, why have you forsaken me??).
46. And about the ninth hour, Yeshua cried out with a loud voice and said,
"'Ail! Ail! Lamna shwaqthani?'"
[(My) Allaha! (My) Allaha! Why have you spared me?/ Why have you let me live?]

* Mark 5:41
He took her by the hand and said to her, ?Talitha koum!? (which means ?Little girl, I say to you, get up!?).
41. And he took the hand of the girl and said to her,
"Talita, qomy!" [young girl, arise]

* Mark 7:34
He looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, ?Ephphatha!? (which means ?Be opened!?).
34. And he looked into heaven and sighed and said to him,
"Aetpatak!" [be opened]

* Mark 10:46
?.a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means ?son of Timaeus?), was sitting by the roadside begging.
46. ?.a blind man, Timi Bar-Timi [Timi son of Timi i.e. Timi, Jr.], was sitting on the side of the road and begging.

* John 1:38
Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, ?What do you want?? They said, ?Rabbi? (which means ?Teacher?), ?where are you staying??
38. And Yeshua turned and saw those who were coming after him and he said to them,
"What do you want?"
They said to him, "Rabban, where are you?" [idiomatic for 'where do you live?' 'Rabban' means 'our Rabbi.']

* John 1:41
The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, ?We have found the Messiah? (that is, the Christ).
41. And this (one) saw his brother Shimon first, and said to him, "I have found him-- the Meshikha!" [Messiah]

* John 9:7
?Go,? he told him, ?wash in the Pool of Siloam? (this word means ?Sent?). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.
7. And he said to him,
"Go wash in the baptismal of Shilokha."
And he went (and) washed and he came while seeing.

//////////////////////////
With the first verse, Mt 27:46, compare:
Mark 15:34
And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ?Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?? (which means ?My God, my God, why have you forsaken me??).
34. And in the ninth hour, Yeshua cried out in a loud voice and said,
"'Ail! Ail! Lamna shwaqthani?'",
that is,
"'Allahi! Allahi! Lamna shwaqthani?'" [My Allaha! My Allaha! Why have you spared me?/ Why have you let me live?]

For John 1:38, compare:
John 20:16
?.She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, ?Rabboni!? (which means ?Teacher?).
20. ?.And she turned around and said to him in Hebrew, "Rabbuli!" which means "Malpana" [Teacher].

Messages In This Thread
Re: "Master YHWH" and "I AM"s in the Peshitta - by DavidFord - 11-30-2014, 01:41 AM