Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John 1:3,4 as understood among the early Eastern believers
In the gospel we often see kl mdm ("anything whatever") work as a phrase, but here in John 1:3 the words are separated from one another (separation is a key idea in John 1). And still they work together to describe something mysterious.

With regard to the 'present tense' and 'past tense' dichotomy in John 1:3, one can read it like this if desired:

"All in his hand is, and without him also not one was anything of being."

Regarding especially the last phrase dhua ("of being"), I think it's an outward manifestation in space and time (i.e., created things like people, planets).

So in a fundamental sense, one of the ways I like to possibly interpret John 1:3 involves distinguishing between (a) the core energy/life/possibility that is presently in the hand of the Father, and (b) the face or outward manifestation of that energy that flows in ways/processes we humans describe as 'past' and 'future' in spacetime.

Mysterious. And how about this unique alternative possibility for John 1:3: "All in his hand being, and without him not even one has become that he be."

Even the word plays are mysterious in the Aramaic verse:
- The word "without" comes from the root blEa ("swallow" or "devour")
- The phrase "also not" is apla, which can also mean "no face"
- The feminine word for "one" Khda also means "glad"

By way of interpretation, I like to think that Alha is life now. All we know comes from Alha and depends on Alha. It has been written that if the face of Alha turned from us, we'd no longer exist! See also Matthew 5:18. I assume from John 1:3 that Alha can 'swallow' things to bring them inside the core (where possibility resides), or Alha can devour them. The outward manifestation of Alha is like a face to us, like energy flowing through shape/form that we see and interact with in the present/past/future of a world like ours.

Messages In This Thread
Re: John 1:3,4 as understood among the early Eastern believe - by gregglaser - 08-03-2014, 02:31 PM