Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acts 18
Aramaic Wrote:Could you please break down what it is that you are wanting to say in your OP there? I'm not sure I get the gist of it yet...after reading it a few times now. Thanks.

Within certain limits, I'll try. I do not wish to offend anyone or their beliefs. The Aramaic Community sits on an astonishing amount of pure gold in regards to understanding what happened 2000 years ago. It has yet to be fully explored although there is progress being made. All you have to do is simply stare at the words: "My God, my God, for this was I spared?" to realize that there is something missing from what we have today. "It's all in Greek and that's the end of it..."

No, that's not the end of it.

Now, sometimes I see things. I read the 2 Stories in Mark, "The Woman with the 12 Year Issue of Blood" and "Jairus' Daughter" and I notice that the common data between them begins with "12 years". "What could that mean?" I read about tying "The Millstone of a Donkey" around the neck of someone and I ask, "Did anyone ever throw the Millstone of a Donkey in the sea? Well...yes. Herod did. Maybe there are Herod Stories in the NT where no one has looked. Maybe "Honored Friends" is telling us something that happened a long time before Gospel Times. Maybe "Lamb", in Greek, completely loses a Word Play that would be obvious in Hebrew.

Then there is something like this:

John 2: 20 - 21 (RSV):

[20] The Jews then said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?"
[21] But he spoke of the temple of his body.

Verse 21 is pure trouble. For those who believe, this requires figuring out what "The Temple of his body" means. It cannot mean that Jesus was 46 years old, could it? If not, then get out your abacus and start cipherin'. For others, it may mean that the verse 20 is "inconvenient" and requires an explanation. Someone might look at a particular year, subtract "46 years" from that year and end up in an...awkward spot. "Let's help them by supplying an explanation".

You correctly point out that above the verses I cited is a mention of "Acquila" and "Priscilla". "I grant the whole argument".

So, I'm focused on these verses for a reason: A few years ago, I read through these verses and something *Clicked*, in the manner listed above. "Who is the subject of this Story?" He was extremely knowledgeable about Scripture yet knew nothing. He MAYBE knew about the Baptism of John yet needed to be schooled on the REAL Story: "And when Acquila and Priscilla heard him, they brought him to their house and showed him the Way of the Lord fully...".

Josephus, Antiquities..., 4, 9, 2:

"Moreover, when he heard that Galba was made emperor, he attempted nothing till he also should send him some directions about the war: however, he sent his son Titus to him, to salute him, and to receive his commands about the Jews. Upon the very same errand did king Agrippa sail along with Titus to Galba; but as they were sailing in their long ships by the coasts of Achaia, for it was winter time, they heard that Galba was slain, before they could get to him, after he had reigned seven months and as many days. After whom Otho took the government, and undertook the management of public affairs. So Agrippa resolved to go on to Rome without any terror; on account of the change in the government; but Titus, by a Divine impulse, sailed back from Greece to Syria, and came in great haste to Cesarea, to his father..."

Marker: When Josephus tells of Titus and some "Divine Impulse", look out. Note to gregglaser: Studying the Romans IS depressing, isn't it? Therefore the question is, Is this a Roman Story Insertion? It has the earmarks. Even Latin words and correcting characters who don't act properly. If it is, then we must look to see if there is word sequence that points to something else, a small bit of indirection.

"...while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus, that he was the Messiah"

If this is Marcus Agrippa II, the clue is that "...while he showed from Scriptures regarding Jesus that he was the Messiah...".

CW

Messages In This Thread
Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-14-2014, 04:29 AM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Stephen Silver - 05-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Charles Wilson - 05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
Re: Acts 18 - by Aramaic - 05-15-2014, 11:08 PM