Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crawford Codex of Revelation ? Glaser Transcript
Please download the 2nd Edition (corrected) transcription of the ?Crawford Codex of Revelation? at either the links above, or at Dukhrana, or here:

[Image: glyna-transcription-button.jpg][Image: glyna-translation-button.jpg][Image: glyna-translation-with-commentary-button.jpg]

I?ve just revised my transcription of the ?Crawford Codex of Revelation? to correct 8 of my own typos/mistakes discovered by J.S. Bernal-LaGrew and myself.

Please note that none of my typos change the comparative textual analysis from my earlier posts. Here were the typos I made:
  • 1:1 ? interpreted the zayin as a resh in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Qdzd[/font] (?were due?)
    1:3 ? omitted the first lamed in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0lml[/font] (?to the word?)
    1:5 ? omitted the yod in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0n4yrw[/font] (?and the ruler?)
    1:5 ? switched the aleph and khet in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Bx0md[/font] (?who is loving?)
    1:6 ? omitted the phrase [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0hl0l[/font] (?to Alha?)
    2:13 ? typed aleph instead of tav for last letter in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]tyzxt0[/font] (?you were seen?)
    3:14 ? omitted the yod in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]0ty4yrw[/font] (?and the first?)
    12:12 ? interpreted the bet as a kad in [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]db[/font] (?because?)

Please note also that in my revised Crawford transcription I continue to adhere to the variant reading of Rev 14:6, as I read the elongated smudge there as [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]Nyn4l[/font](?tongues?), but SP and many scribes read [font="Estrangelo (V1.1)"]N4l[/font] (?tongue?).

Now that my 8 errors (my wounds) are bandaged, I would like to take this opportunity to discuss some things I?ve learned about the process of scribing an ancient codex?

First, I have professional experience as an attorney preparing property deeds, so I am accustomed to transcribing old documents in exact detail, letter-for-letter, number-for-number. I have a natural confidence in my abilities (sometimes over-confidence), but I?ve learned that human error is part of reality when scribing. Forgiveness and the opportunity for correction is welcomed.

Second, my triple-check process of finding mistakes had a fundamental flaw for me ? I relied exclusively on the high resolution computer screen and word-by-word and verse-by-verse checks. What I should have done is printed my completed transcription at the end of the process and then completed a final line-by-line check on paper with the Codex. Lesson learned! Fortunately, I?ve just completed that extra step (and more) for the 2nd edition, so I have far greater confidence in this revision ? indeed, I would be extremely surprised to find even a single error in the transcription at this point.

Third, I found it enormously helpful to have additional sets of eyes review my work. In one case, I interpreted a resh but another scribe interpreted zayin, and ultimately he was right. A special thank you to J.S. Bernal-LaGrew and Lars Lindgren for their proof reading, and also David Bauscher for his comments.

Fourth, the process of scribing an ancient codex is rewarding, but if you make a mistake in your published work (ESPECIALLY the Book of Revelation) it weighs on your heart and can keep you up at night. I pray that if there are any of my 8-mistake original editions floating around in cyberspace that they be discarded, and that my revision posted here: (1) Transcription; (2) Transcription with Translation; and (3) Transcription, Translation & Commentary -- be supplanted in their place. If you are reading this post and can help make that happen, you?ll have my gratitude.

Greg Glaser

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Crawford Codex of Revelation ? Glaser Transcript - by gregglaser - 05-04-2015, 07:00 PM