Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve Caruso's problems with peshitta primacy
I put together all of the verses in RSV which appear under the filter "which means", adding the filter "Hebrew" for John:

Matthew 1: 23 (RSV):
[23] "Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and his name shall be called Emmanuel"
(which means, God with us).

Matthew 27:33:
[33] And when they came to a place called Gol'gotha (which means the place of a skull),

Mark 5: 41:
[41] Taking her by the hand he said to her, "Tal'itha cu'mi"; which means, "Little girl, I say to you, arise."

Mark 15: 22:
[22] And they brought him to the place called Gol'gotha (which means the place of a skull).

Mark 15: 34:
[34] And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, "E'lo-i, E'lo-i, la'ma sabach-tha'ni?" which means, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

John 1: 38:
[38] Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, "What do you seek?" And they said to him, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher), "where are you staying?"

John 1: 41:
[41] He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which means Christ).

John 1: 42:
[42] He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, "So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas" (which means Peter).

John 5: 2:
[2] Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, in Hebrew called Beth-za'tha, which has five porticoes.

John 9: 7:
[7] saying to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Silo'am" (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing.

John 19: 13:
[13] When Pilate heard these words, he brought Jesus out and sat down on the judgment seat at a place called The Pavement, and in Hebrew, Gab'batha.

John 19: 17:
[17] So they took Jesus, and he went out, bearing his own cross, to the place called the place of a skull, which is called in Hebrew Gol'gotha.

John 20: 16:
[16] Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned and said to him in Hebrew, "Rab-bo'ni!" (which means Teacher).

There are a few things left out, among them the Jewish town of "Arimathea", which, one would think, might be a sturdy enough Jewish word that it might need translating. I've already mentioned "Fourth Watch". I probably left out something very important - I usually do. Add whatever below and I'm sure we can discuss it.
I've left off my comments for now.

CW

Messages In This Thread
Re: Steve Caruso's problems with peshitta primacy - by Charles Wilson - 01-23-2014, 01:17 AM