Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John 21:15-17
I'm sure that this has been discussed at length on this forum, but it is well known that John 21:15-17 in the Greek reads like this:

'So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ?Simon, son of John, do you love [Greek: agapas] Me more than these?? He *said to Him, ?Yes, Lord; You know that I love [Greek: philo] You.? He said to him, ?Tend My lambs.? He said to him again a second time, ?Simon, son of John, do you love [Greek: agapas] Me?? He said to Him, ?Yes, Lord; You know that I love [Greek: philo] You.? He *said to him, ?Shepherd My sheep.? 17 He said to him the third time, ?Simon, son of John, do you love [Greek: phileis] Me?? Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, ?Do you love [Greek: phileis] Me?? And he said to Him, ?Lord, You know all things; You know that I love [Greek: phileis] You.? Jesus said to him, ?Tend My sheep..."'- New American Standard Bible

Here is the Aramaic:

"When they had dined, Jeshu said to Shemun Kipha, Shemun bar Jona, lovest [Aramaic: rakhem] thou me more than these? He saith to him, Yes, my Lord, thou knowest that I love [Aramaic: d'rakhem] thee. Jeshu saith to him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Shemun bar Jona, lovest [Aramaic: rakhem] thou me? He saith to him, Yes, my Lord, thou knowest that I love [Aramaic: d'rakhem] thee. Jeshu saith to him, Feed my sheep. Jeshu saith to him again the third time, Shemun bar Jona, lovest [Aramaic: rakhem] thou me ? And it grieved Kipha that he said to him the third time, Lovest [Aramaic: rakhem] thou me ? And he said to him, My Lord, all things thou understandest, thou knowest that I love [Aramaic: d'rakhem] thee. Jeshu saith to him, Feed my sheep."- Etheridge New Testament

Notice in 21:17 that the Greek says that Simon was grieved because of Jesus asking him for the third time if he had phileis (affection) for him. If the Greek is right, then Jesus should have asked him if he had phileis for Him three times, but instead, he says that particular word once. Twice Jesus asks him if he has agapas (love) for him. The Aramaic however, records Jesus saying the same word three times:rakhem. I could be misunderstanding the verse though, as I know nothing about the grammar of the Greek New Testament. Could it be saying (paraphrase), "Peter was sad because he asked him 'Do you phileis me instead of 'Do you agapas me?' when he asked the third time."

Messages In This Thread
John 21:15-17 - by ScorpioSniper2 - 12-12-2013, 10:33 PM