Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Peshitta evidence?
Andrej Wrote:So, anyone care to ref. me to the three best evidences for the primacy of the Peshitta that we have today, compared to the greek? If possible, make it less, but with references. You may know i am still undecided on the issue, after following the forum for a long time. So best shots only. :-)

1) Evidence of total mistranslation because of not understanding the Aramaic Idiom:
2 Peter 3:10
Aramaic: But they day of the LORD comes like a thief, in which the heavens will suddenly pass away

Greek (to English) But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise,

I wonder: Why 'great noise' and suddenly in Aramaic?
The Aramaic idiom is: 'men sheli' (out of silence). Can one translate from Greek 'a booming noise' to 'men sheli'? I don't think so! But from Aramaic to Greek? Yes. Because 'out of silence' (men sheli) could be understood as *noisy* by a non-native speaker.

John 21:15
2) Aramaic; Feed my lambs, male-sheep, female-sheep.
Greek; Feed my Lambs, sheep, sheep

The usage of mentioning male/female sheep shows a deep knowledge of the language, and of course, which impact did this have on Peter?
He wrote to men (1 Pe 3:7)
To women (1 Pe 3:1)
Young people (1 Pe 5:5)

Using the Greek Bible, people tend to understand it as if there are different kinds of 'love' like agape vs filea (while they are used intermingled)

3) Janus parallelism
Luke 13:19
Yeshu used a poetic language to describe the kingdom of God.
The parallelism is of great beauty, it would accidently appear if you translate from Greek. Or would it? (And show some examples)

Messages In This Thread
Best Peshitta evidence? - by Andrej - 09-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Re: Best Peshitta evidence? - by distazo - 09-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Re: Best Peshitta evidence? - by enarxe - 09-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Re: Best Peshitta evidence? - by Andrej - 11-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Re: Best Peshitta evidence? - by Thirdwoe - 11-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Re: Best Peshitta evidence? - by ScorpioSniper2 - 11-18-2013, 01:04 AM