Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dusk or Dawn
Shlama akhi,

unfortunately it looks like Mr. Alexander is a bit off here. the way he has rendered it does make it wrong.

i'd render the Aramaic as follows:

Matt:
Yet, at the evening of the Sabbath, at the twilight of the first of the week, while dark.....

Mark:
And when it was after the Sabbath....And at predawn, on the first of the week......

Luke:
Yet, at the first of the week, at predawn, while dark.....

John:
Yet, at the first of the week came Maryam Magdlata at early morning, while dark.....

each verse contains details that confirm the account as the same: it was AFTER the weekly Sabbath had closed (meaning sundown had occurred, ie, Saturday night), which technically makes it the first of the week, according to Scriptural reckoning of how the day is counted (from evening to morning). from the going down of the sun on Sabbath / Saturday, it was technically "predawn" / SHAPRA, ie, "early morning" / ZAPRA. any time in between the setting of the sun on Saturday to the dawn of the sun could technically be labeled "predawn," so the issue is just in how Mr. Alexander chose to render the Aramaic, which is, i believe, in error at this point. "twilight" in Matt shouldn't be taken as evening twilight, which is how he appears to be reading it.

those are my thoughts!

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
Dusk or Dawn - by Thirdwoe - 05-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by Stephen Silver - 05-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by Thirdwoe - 05-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by Stephen Silver - 05-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by Thirdwoe - 05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by Burning one - 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Re: Dusk or Dawn - by bobcny - 06-10-2012, 04:26 AM