Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bauscher Peshitta Translation
One problem we have with YHWH is that we don't know how to actually pronounce it! Most Christians are not Jewish, we are Gentiles and we do not have to be absorbed by a Jewish identity, just like the Jewish people do not have to be absorbed by a Gentile identity. The names we use for God have everything to do with His character, because most of them are translations of Hebrew terms:

YHWH/MarYah- Yahweh/Jehovah/LORD
Adonai/Mar- Lord
Elohim/Eloah/El/Alaha- God
El Shaddai- God Almighty
Mashiyach/Meshikha- Messiah/Christ
El Elyon- Most High God
Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh- I Am Who I Am
YHWH.MarYah Shalom- Yahweh/Jehovah/The LORD our Peace
YHWH/MarYah Nissi- Yahweh/Jehovah/The LORD will Provide
YHWH/MarYah Tzevaot- Yahweh/Jehovah/The LORD of Hosts

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to refer to the Lord God Almighty by His Hebrew names, but I have always known God by His more modern names. I am a Greek primacist, so I believe that in the inspired Scriptures the Messiah was referred to as Iesous in writing, but I am sure they referred to Him as Yehoshua or Yeshua during His life on earth. Millions of Jews are coming to see the Messiah in Jesus Christ by calling Him by His Hebrew name: I have no problem with that. If a Jew asked me, a believer in Jesus' name baptism, to baptize him in the name of Yeshua according to Acts 2:38, I certainly would have about as much of a problem with that as I would baptizing in the name of Jesus: no problem at all! Hebrew is not the "holy language" and neither is Greek or Aramaic. They are just the languages God revealed His Word in.

Messages In This Thread
Paul Phillip Levertoff - by Stephen Silver - 04-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Re: David Bauscher Peshitta Translation - by ScorpioSniper2 - 07-14-2012, 05:41 AM