Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
David Bauscher Peshitta Translation
The Texas RAT Wrote:I do know that Paul says that anybody can use his text at any time without permission and that Murdock's translation is in the public domain, but I have not seen where Roth has given credit to Paul's or Murdock's translations, or comes out and says that Paul's plain English and Murdock's translations were used as underlying texts.
From page v. of the AENT (all four editions),

"To retain as much consistency as possible, Paul Younan's translation has been compared from Matthew 1 to Acts 15 and James Murdock's translation for the remainder, each word has been cross-checked with Aramaic. In some cases, both sources are woven together into this translation, under a unifying editorial version and approach."

Here he admits that he took their translations and compared them to the Aramaic, cross-checking each word and making revisions (however little) as he sees fit.

And from the AENT website,

"Compiled, Edited & Translated with consultation to both Ancient and Modern Authorities including: The Khabouris Codex and the 1905 Edition of the Syriac New Testament by the British and Foreign Bible Society."

Notice the compiling and editing part.

While it's true that (at the expense of promotion) Roth could be a little more upfront about these things (no one is arguing that), the whole Roth-bashing is getting a little old and we're all familiar here with what he did and what went on. The focus of the AENT is more so the commentary that Roth provides, and I think originally he wanted to just post the commentary on his website only to have his webmaster convince him to publish it instead, and then three years later we have the AENT. Younan and Murdock were likely used as time-saving aids to get the commentary published. Similar in some ways to how theologians will use a base translation like NASB to publish their own study bibles, the only difference is that Roth was able to edit the text.

As for the original question, I would get Janet Maiera's interlinear and translation instead of Bauscher's (she also has a corresponding dictionary that's numbered to her interlinears). Magiera has the least bias of any translation IMO, and there is also a Messianic Edition if you want Semitic transliterations. Although she uses the Western Peshitto instead of the Eastern Peshitta, but the differences can be found here,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scribd.com/doc/34859108/Eastern-and-Western-Peshitta-Differences">http://www.scribd.com/doc/34859108/East ... ifferences</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Paul Phillip Levertoff - by Stephen Silver - 04-30-2012, 02:37 AM
Re: David Bauscher Peshitta Translation - by Luc Lefebvre - 07-01-2012, 05:17 PM