Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adulterae?
gbausc Wrote:Wow! Alan, at least you know what to think and how to judge.

I don't know what your church affiliation is, but you seem threatened by the idea of freedom and by The Spirit of Holiness being our ultimate authority and power. You have misconstrued my position to be making myself the arbiter of truth, and that is not what I said.

I did not think I would get very far on the forum with this line of reasoning, but if it provokes serious thought and heart searching for one person, it will have been worth it.

Peace to all who love our Lord in sincerity and Truth,

Dave
Dear Dave, i am inclined to agree with your position of spirit guidance (i actually hold a very similar position), however, i must wonder what you do about people that genuinely believe to be guided by the spirit, but end up at different conclusions than you do. For example, i myself believe to be guided by the spirit, and although i belong to an organization, i cannot say i agree with any position it holds 100%. i am rather guided by the Holy Spirit.

As spirit guidance has a high value with us, naturally, there are many occasions on which we could have disagreements. Here it is imparative to realize that "we know in part, and we prophesy in part." (1Cor 13:9) and that we still have to "Prove all things" (1Thess 5:21). It is very important to discern between personal convictions, and solid Bible-backed doctrine. i do not believe that God gives different truths to different people, but i do believe that we are never sensitive enough to fully capture all truth, and that the Holy Spirit gives us the truth that is relevant to our situation.

In that manner, i would like to ask you how you assure that you won't get lost on your very own doctrinal island (you seem to be somewhat of a loner, and from what i read i guess you have no spiritual authority) and how you connect (which, after all is Jesus' message) to others that genuinely desire to follow God's word and will. Howcan we resolve our differences in your universe? i am almost certain i hold very different views on matters like the Godhead, or salvation, or eternity, or many others. If you ask me, i will always be willing to open my position to you, but i have a feeling your conviction of being guided by the Spirit may give you a little too much self confidence, and you have a limited ability to listen to others, as has happened with billions of people before. If i am wrong, i sincerely apologize.

About the Pericope Adulterae, i have no opinion, as i have not received guidance of the Holy Spirit (and feel no need to force it, which always ends in having a false opinion), but tend to think it is a true report, but probably not part of the original scriptures, similar to apocrypha (based on the facts available to me).

Please do tell me your thoughts regarding these things.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Paul Younan - 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Re: Who here has the courage to reject the Pericope Adultera - by Andrej - 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM