Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus? title as ?lord? and Preservation of the Peshitta
Hello,

Could someone please help me!!

Preservation of the Peshitta:

If the text has been copied perfectly, then I would imagine that the grammar and language is somewhat ancient (as if we compared Old English with modern English); is this the case?

Is the text in an ancient or modern Syriac script or has the script remained constant throughout the centuries?

Also, were the four NT gospels ?separated? from the Diatessaron, or had they also been preserved as separate texts by the Eastern Church or did they translate Greek versions of the gospels back into Aramaic?

Title of Jesus:

How is Jesus referred to in the Peshitta?

Adon - Lord used for men, angels and God (meaning master, owner or lord.)
Adoneinu ? Lord as was used for David ? 1 Sam 25:14, 7; 1 Kings 1:45
Adoneinu ? LORD used for God ? (varies in the Hebrew spelling for the previous word) 1 Sam 16:16
Adonai ? LORD; God ? Isaiah 6:1; Genesis 15:2
(Above titles are in Hebrew)

"The Lord's Prayer survives in the Aramaic language in the form given to it in the Syriac Peshitta version of the New Testament. The dialect of Syriac in which it is written is not the dialect that would have been spoken by Jesus of Nazareth or his followers.[31] Therefore, claims that the Peshitta Lord's Prayer is "the original" are false: it too is translated from the Greek text of Matthew 6:9-13. A slightly different and older Aramaic version of the Lord's Prayer also exists.[32]" - Source: Wikipedia

Which dialect is used in the Peshitta?

I would appreciate the help. Thank you!

Peace & Blessings.

Messages In This Thread
Jesus? title as ?lord? and Preservation of the Peshitta - by anthea26 - 01-07-2011, 08:20 PM