Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
27 books mentioned in Nestorian tablet (?)
Shlama alokhun,

I think I have a very plausible explanation to this "issue". As a church established with Semitic roots, we all must remember to think as Semites! Now, it is common knowledge that the 22 books of the New Covenant was the "standard" for the CoE. But what about the Old Covenant?

Well, last year (on another forum) I had some people ask me what the CoE accepts as canonical, and so I actually had a discussion with two of my priests to get information for them. I was under the impression that it was essentially the same as the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches, and they said "yes" but we group, name and number our canon differently. Moreover, one of them also mentioned that we revere 5 books more so than the rest. I think he mentioned that this is what we use to teach our theology. Mind you, that conversation was brief.

What are those 5 books? I want to say it is the Torah (which I believe actually means teaching or instruction).

So, as far as the stone this can mean:

5 (Torah) + 22 (New Covenant) = 27

NOT... 22 (New Covenant) + 5 (Western Books) = 27

Does this make more sense in perspective?

That might make sense as to why the stone reads:

Twenty-seven sacred books have been left, which disseminate intelligence by unfolding the original transforming principles.

and

...and Persians observing the splendor came to present tribute; the ancient dispensation, as declared by the twenty-four holy men [the writers of the Old Covenant]

Push b'shayna,

-Nimrod Warda-

Messages In This Thread
Re: 27 books mentioned in Nestorian tablet (?) - by Nimrod Warda - 02-08-2010, 02:53 PM