Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the word "gospel" in mark 1:1
Shlama,

i also don't see this term as being an issue in the Peshitta. a few different ancient texts of Judaism make mention of the "Gospel" scrolls of early believers:

Tosefta, Shabbat. xiii. 5 [ed. Zuckermandel, p. 129]; comp. Shabbat. 116a; Yeramot. Shab. 15c, 52; Sifre, Num. 16):

"The 'Gilyon[im]' and the [Biblical] books of the Jud??o-Christians ["Minim"] are not saved [on Shabbat] from fire; but one lets them burn together with the names of God written upon them." R. Jose the Galilean says: "On week-days the names of God are cut out and hidden while the rest is burned." R. Tarphon says: "I swear by the life of my children that if they fall into my hands I shall burn them together with the names of God upon them." Rabbi Ishmael says: "If God has said, 'My name that has been written in holiness [i.e., in the "jealousy roll" mentioned in Num. v. 21 et seq.] shall be wiped out by water, in order to make peace between husband and wife,' then all the more should the books of the Jud??o-Christians, that cause enmity, jealousy, and contention between Israel and its heavenly Father. . . . As they are not saved from fire, so they are not saved when they are in danger of decaying, or when they have fallen into water, or when any other mishap has befallen them"

i was lazy and swiped the above from a wiki article on Gilyonim since they had all the mentions slapped together. anyhow, Gilyonim is basically the same term as the Aramaic reading. so it was familiar enough of a term to even be used in reference in the Talmudic literature.

Chayim b'Moshiach,
Jeremy

Messages In This Thread
the word "gospel" in mark 1:1 - by schikum - 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Re: the word "gospel" in mark 1:1 - by distazo - 01-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Re: the word "gospel" in mark 1:1 - by judge - 01-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Re: the word "gospel" in mark 1:1 - by Burning one - 01-26-2010, 06:40 AM