Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earliest known date attached to four Gospels
breekh saphro,

Folks I've included the Syriac text from this other catalogue, and it goes well beyond the earlier Latin and Syriac text in details. akh Paul please confirm my translation of the Syriac text, because the implication of this quote would be great, and I will hold my comments until you verify it!

Assemani ??? Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana Vol 2 -- P492

?????? ?????? ???????????????????????????? ???????????????? ?????? ?????????????? ???????????????? ?????????????????? ?????????????????? ???????????????????????? ???????????????????? ??????????????. ???????? ?????????? ?????? ???????????????????????????? ?????????????????? ????????????????. ?????????????? ?????????? ???????????? ???????? ?????????????? ?????? ???????????????????? ??????????. ???????????????? ?????????? ?????? ?????? ?????????????? ????????????????. ???????? ?????????????????? ?????????????????? ?????????????? ?????????? ?????? ???????????? ???????????????? ???????????? ?????????? ??????????????????. ???????????????? ???????????? ?????????? ???????????????? ?????????? ?????????????????????? ?????? ?????????????? ???????? ???????? ???????????????? ?????????????????? ???????????? ???????????????????? ?????????????? ???????????????? ???????????? ?????????????? ???????????? ?????????? ???????????? ?????????????????? ?????????? ?????????? ?????????????? ?????????????? ?????????? ????????????:

Syriac Translation:
On this old Gospel upon the altar of the Holy Church that is in the temple of the Romans from the city of Baghdad. There was an Old Edessan Gospel that was clear with no missing letters, and was said to be better than any new Books. Only the first section was lost from it from that time period and at the end was written:
This Holy Book was finished on the 5th day in the week, the 18th in December of the year 389 of the Greeks (i.e 78 AD). Handwriting by the hand of the apostle AHay friend of Mor Mori the student of Mor Aday the Apostle; his prayer be with us Amen!

tawdi,
keefa-morun

Messages In This Thread
Re: Earliest known date attached to four Gospels - by abudar2000 - 03-21-2009, 09:55 AM