Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha
yaaqubyl Wrote:
LightRay Wrote:Thanks for your replies. I did load the levistan font from the website. I did not notice any difference. There are five fonts, which one should I load.

I have seen references to a Proto Masoretic OT. Can someone please explain what that is? Is it the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Also on this website is the Targums in Hebrew/English. Is this the version used for the OT in the Eastern Church. If so is there an Aramaic Translation.

Many Thanks
LR

Shlama akhi,

This doesn't necessarily refer to the Dead Sea Scrolls, although there are some remnants of some of the older Hebrew reflected in DSS. Simply put, the "Proto Masoretic OT" was the Old Testament written in very ancient times. In scholarly circles this is sometimes designated by the German word "Vorlage". It's argued among some that the current Hebrew Masoretic Bible in use likely has some differences from the Vorlage and that the Aramaic Old Testament, translated directly from the ancient version, retains the original
Which Aramaic Old Testament Version are you refering to? Are you refering to the Targum? Or is there another Aramaic OT?
meaning. I believe the current Hebrew Masoretic Bible was completed by its editors around the tenth or eleventh century.

When comparing it with the Aleppo Codex one can see some differences, but especially when you compare it with some of the Yemenite manuscripts of the Torah and Tanakh as a whole, there are some major differences between the two. The Book of Esther is a perfect example of having major differences.

Targum Onqelos/Onkelos has been translated by Etheridge but has an old style English but, aside from that, it is very useful. There are more modern translations that are coming out all the time. There are several "Targums." Targum Yonathan is what is found on the site here. Akhan Paul Younan said the Targum on Peshitta.org is "the official Aramaic Targum and English translation".

Shlama,

Messages In This Thread
Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by LightRay - 12-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by Stephen Silver - 12-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by yaaqubyl - 12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by Stephen Silver - 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by yaaqubyl - 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by LightRay - 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by yaaqubyl - 12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by Stephen Silver - 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by LightRay - 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Re: Aalah/Aaloh/Alaha - by LightRay - 12-29-2008, 06:01 PM