Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daughter Of A Voice
Shlama Akhi Jeremy:
It seems that we are both burning the midnight oil. It's 12:15 A.M. by my clock.

I've often pondered the use of bat kol in the Talmud or b'nat koli in the Peshitta New Testament. I was studying the connection between Elijah and John the Baptist, since Yeshua said that John came in the spirit and power of Elijah. Elijah was called "tishbi" and the root of this word is "shuv" which means repent or turn. (I Kings 17:1) John the Baptist called the people of his generation to repentance and also is referred to by Yeshua as the messenger who prepares the way of the LORD. (Malachi 34:1, Matthew 11:14) It was Elijah that heard kol d'mama daka or still small voice in Horeb/Sinai. (I Kings 19:12) This was without a doubt the Voice of the Ruakh Hakodesh the Voice of Elohim. It was John the Baptist that witnessed the Voice from Heaven and the Holy Spirit as a dove which was manifest at Yeshua's immersion in the Jordan river. In retrospect I'm wondering if the Rabbis of the Great Synagogue didn't use this title "bat kol" as a reference to "hearing from heaven" after the closing of the written Prophets (400 years of silence since the last prophets). That would be Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi. Yeshua said, "All the Prophets and the Torah prophesied until John" (Matthew 11:13) So, is Yeshua correcting the Rabbis of the Great Synagogue who use the title bat kol, when Yeshua mentions Elijah in the next verse. "And if you are willing to receive it, he is Elijah who is to come." (Matthew 11:14)
It seems to me that the Rabbinical/Talmudic understanding of the Ruakh HaKodesh was more humanly manifested as in cases of halakhic decisions between Hillel and Shammai where the bat kol is invoked. Hence their difficulty in accepting the virgin birth and the WORD (miltha) made manifest in the flesh as the Son of Alaha. (John 1:1-17) So it also would appear that both Luke (Acts 12:22) and Paul (I Timothy 6:20) are setting the record straight by noting the difference between the b'nat koli (human understanding that is falsely attributed to Alaha) vis-a-vis the revelation that comes from the Rukha d'Kadusha, "the Spirit of Truth will lead you into All Truth." (John 16:13)
One final note is that the Apostle Paul was in Horeb/Sinai where Moses received the Torah commandments and also where Elijah stood when he ran from Jezebel. Perhaps it was here that our LORD spoke also to Paul concerning this very subtle difference between the Voice of the Holy Spirit vis-a-vis the subtle but misleading voice of the deceiver of humanity. Of all of the Apostles, Paul understood the mindset of the Pharisees with unparalleled clarity. Perhaps the use and invocation of this title, b'nat koli, is symbolic of the sticking point between Yeshua and the Apostles vis-a-vis the Pharisees over the important topic of heavenly authority and Messianic revelation all through the first century.

Shlama,
Stephen
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dukhrana.com">http://www.dukhrana.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Re: Daughter Voice - by Stephen Silver - 12-24-2008, 05:27 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Stephen Silver - 12-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Re: Daughter Of A Voice - by Burning one - 12-25-2008, 08:46 AM