Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Andrew Roth
November 19, 2008

Dear Andrew:

I have a hard-bound printed copy of The British and Foreign Bible Society's, "The New Testament in Syriac" as published in 1905 for the four Gospels and in 1920 for all 27 books. In the Preface signed by B. Kilgour, Editorial Superintendent, The Bible House, London, December, 1919, is the following specific statement:

"The text of Revelation is taken by permission from an edition issued in 1807, which was prepared by the late Rev. John Gwynn, D.D., Regius Professor of Divinity at the University of Dublin, from a manuscript formerly in the possession of the Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, but now preserved in the John Rylands Library, Mamchester."

It will help us all if you would be so kind as to attemot to verify this statement by looking at the text itself. If you do not have aceess to it I can easily make a PDF photcopy of Revellation with my computer scanner and send it to you.

Likewise, I think it would be very helpful if you looked at and evaluated the ONLINE BIBLE "Peshitta" text as well since so many people have free access to it. Here are the steps in finding the Peshitta text:

Go to <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.onlinebibleusa.com">http://www.onlinebibleusa.com</a><!-- m --> and click on the red "Windows Online Bible" near the top left side of the page. Next click on the green "CLICK HERE FOR OUR DOWNLOAD SECTION" near the top of this new page. Now scroll down to the group of "Ancient Texts" and you will see the "Peshitta Syriac New Testament" ready for download. Before you can download the Peshitta and view it you must go back up that page to "English Programing Free Downloads" and download the free Online Bible program. Follow the instructions and then go back and dowwload the Peshitta text and install it.

If you have any problems with the Online BIble you can call the friendly man who oversees this program at (519) 767-2266 (Noon to 5 pm EST) and he will pleasantly walk you through it.

Since everybody has direct electronic access to the "Peshitta" at ONLINEBIBLE, your evaluation will be invaluable to us all.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Otto

Messages In This Thread
Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by Paul Younan - 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by enarxe - 11-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Re: Question for Andrew Roth - by ograabe - 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM