Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament
Dear Mr. Roth,

As a person who purchased your Aramaic English New Testament, and has received it, and upon initial inspection and reading, has found numerous spelling mistakes, and some rather significant typographical errors, I'm wondering if those who purchased your book will at some future point, be given an errata sheet that points out these errors, or better yet, be given a chance to purchase a new corrected and cleaned up version of your Aramaic English New Testament at a much lower price?

Considering the above, this only seems fair.

Another question is about your proof reader, was this person a professional proof reader,
or just someone doing a favor for you?

Considering the number of typos and grammatical errors in your book, I wonder how so many mistakes slipped past a professional proof reader.

And I have some further questions about exactly which Aramaic translations that your book is actually based on.

You seem to say that you used Paul Younan's translation for the Gospels and part of the Book of Acts, and that you also used the 1905 Peshitta edition, and the Hebrew and Aramaic Peshitta from Israel.

And that you cleaned up and firmed up your whole book with the Khaboris Codex, which is freely available online.

Now, if I've understood you correctly, you did not actually translate, but you merely tweaked several already existing translations, to have a translation that was more in line with your own theological beliefs.

Is this correct? Yes, or no?

If this is not correct, I would like to ask exactly which parts of your Aramaic English New Testament that you translated?

Which books, or chapters of books, that only you had a part in translating?

Would it not have been better to let all of us know that we were purchasing at least parts of your book, that were actually already translated by someone else?

And that you in fact, merely tweaked them, to give your book more of your own theological background?

From reading your Introduction it seems that almost all of your book was other people's translations from the Aramaic, into English.

These seem to include Murdock, Younan, and the online Khaboris Codex.

I would in fact like to ask, if what I have heard is true?

Does MARI mean: Murdock, Andrew Roth, and Younan, but the 'Y' was changed to 'I', to avoid using "Christopagan" language, that is, the name "Mary"?

While I acknowledge the 1905 Peshitta as a document that you said that you translated out of, just exactly how much of your book comes from your own mind, and is your very own translation?

I would like an exact answer to this question, if you would care to answer it.

It seems likely to me that a number of people on this particular Forum might already have a copy of Paul Younan's Interlinear Aramaic English New Testament, and were not looking to purchase another copy, which in actuality, is what we did.

The same thing might be said for Murdock's translation which is also available online.

And ditto, for the famed Khaboris Codex.

A free translation already exists online with an Etheridge translation, along side of it.

Just how much of this was used in the production of your own Aramaic English New Testament?

Since we all paid a fair sum for your book, I feel that these questions all deserve a fair, complete, and concise answer.

Thank you.

Truth Above Oneself.

The Truth Committee

Messages In This Thread
Questions about the Aramaic English New Testament - by The Truth Committee - 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM