Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning Aramaic Pronunciation
Shlama Albion,

I appreciate your feedback. There are a number of pages of Elias' book available through the Google book search, and though the wording may not be the Eastern dialect, I still feel that I've gained from working through the pronunciations as he shows them. The answer to my original consternation about the mismatches between versions seems to be that he's using some version of the Western dialect Peshitto.

He does speak to some academic decisions he made in the renderings where he replaced Greek borrowings with Aramaic equivalents. At this point, I'm not familiar enough with the landscape to know whether that takes the text closer to or further away from its origins.

And if it is the Peshitto he's using, people who study languages often encounter and sometimes learn a variety of dialects in the process anyway, as it's just the way that languages are.

So far, this is the most helpful work in print that I've found to help get a handle on a manner of pronunciation, even if it isn't in the Eastern dialect that I ultimately want to study and learn. Doing a straight transliteration of the entire text was perhaps beyond the scope of the resources of Mr. Elias, as this is quite a challenge as we can see from what Andrew Gabriel Roth has gone through to get Mari/PEACE published.

Yes, I'd like to find something like a straight transliteration of the Peshitta; but until that comes along, I can work with something that isn't exactly what I'm looking for, and thank you for explaining some of the background of it.

Todah rabbah,
Andrew

Messages In This Thread
Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 07-23-2008, 04:42 AM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by *Albion* - 07-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 07-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by *Albion* - 07-24-2008, 02:42 AM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 07-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by *Albion* - 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Re: Learning Aramaic Pronunciation - by kingskeep - 08-17-2008, 09:34 PM