Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revelation, written on Patmos after Nero?
Shlama Akhi Distazo,

I have the following note in my interlinear translation at Rev. 3:14 -
Quote:An interesting note in Thayer???s Greek-English Lexicon under the entry for laodikeia -???Laodicea??? documents that
Laodicea , Colossae and Hierapois were destroyed by an earthquake in AD 66 . Laodicea was not rebuilt until 120 years later
by Marcus Aurelius. This little known fact is extensively documented by Bishop Lightfoot in His commentary on Colossians and
Philemon, pp 274-300. This says volumes about the date for The Book of Revelation, does it not ? It must have been written
before AD 66 , else there had been no Laodicea left to which John could write ! Tacitus , the Roman historian, wrote that
Laodicea ???without any relief from us,recovered itself from its own resources.???Tacitus wrote this in the early second century.
Another source says that Laodicea ??? lay in ruins for quite a period of time??? until the Roman emperor Hadrian, at the
beginning of the second century (reigned AD 117-138) revived it after he visited the place. ???It was almost totally rebuilt
during the reign (AD 188-217) of Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (0icknamed Caracalla) .??? There was apparently no major
rebuilding of Laodicea before the second century and it is highly unlikely that this destruction should go unmentioned if a letter
to its church were written after AD 66 to a place in ruins and which furthermore boasts ,???I am rich and affluent and have
need of nothing??? (v. 17). It is amazing that modern Bible commentators seem to be completely ignorant of this historical
information, dating the writing of Revelation at AD 95- an absurdly late date.

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Re: Revelation, written on Patmos after Nero? - by gbausc - 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
STUR or SoTOR - by SP Silver - 05-07-2008, 04:50 AM