Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta?
Shlama Qashisha Dave,

Yes, they are in our printed copies and as I have stated previously these are considered "pious books" and the faithful are highly encouraged to read them at home for personal study and edification.

The weekly readings during service (the liturgical cycle) does not contain readings from the books that are outside of the canon of the Peshitta. So while they are not technically part of our liturgical worship service in church, they are a part of our daily walk with God.

That does not mean that the CoE considers these books to be apostolic or canonical (hence the "introductory notes" indicating that these are not part of the Peshitta), but she is not so rigid as to ignore the witness of the rest of the universal church or recognize that these books are a special part of Christian life.

Part of the reason these books are included in that printed copy from Lebanon is that they are used both by the CoE and the Chaldean Catholic Church (which does, obviously, hold to the canonicity of these books).

+Shamasha Paul

PS - the Swadaya (meaning "contemporary") script is purely an eastern evolution of Estrangelo, to make writing with vowel points easier. It is used by both the CoE and the Chaldean Catholic Church (Roman Catholic Uniates).

I think, Akhi Albion, you may be thinking of the "Serto" (meaning "scratch" or "cursive") when thinking about the SOC/Monophysites, although that script is also used by other groups like the Maronites (Catholic).

All scripts progress over the ages (look at English, Hebrew or Arabic) for various reasons, usually to simplify one aspect or another.

Sample text in Old English (Prologue from Beowulf)

[Image: smp_oldenglish.gif]

Here is an old manuscript of Beowulf:

[Image: Beowulf.firstpage.jpeg]

I would not consider these type of things "compromises", again, because all languages and scripts "evolve" over time.

Messages In This Thread
The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by gbausc - 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Re: The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by *Albion* - 04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Re: The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by Paul Younan - 04-25-2008, 04:35 AM
Re: The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by gbausc - 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM