Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta?
Shlama All,

I recently received a new copy of The Eastern Peshitta New Testament (Kathiva d'Dyatheeqee Khadatha d'Maran Yeshua Meshikha) from The Assyrian Church of The East book web site, which Paul Younan recently posted.
I am amazed at the Western nature of the text. It definitely retains the distinctly Eastern readings of Acts 20:28, Hebrews 2:9 and 16, as well as Matthew 6:32 (1 extra word) and others.
But it includes John 7:53-8:11, as well as the verses of Acts 8:37, 15:34, 28:29 , as well as all the Western 5 books :2 Peter, 2 John, 3 John, Jude and Revelation.
This means that the text of this "Eastern Peshitta" is actually more Western than Eastern!

I congratulate The Church of The East for these changes in the text, which I believe make it more accurate by supplying missing text and books to the old Eastern text. The added books and the passage in John 7:53-8:11 have a preface in Aramaic saying: The (2nd,3rd,-) epistle (of (Peter,John,Jude) is not in what are called The Peshitta copies, but is in other ancient copies." The John passage has a variation of that, commenting :"The lection on the sinner woman is not in the copies called Peshitta, but is in the Greek and also in one other ancient damaged copy called 'Jerusalem's'"

The edition I have is dated 1982, so it has been 26 years at least since such changes were made and approved by The COE. Who among us Westerners would have thought this possible?

Blessings,

Pastor Dave Bauscher

Messages In This Thread
The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by gbausc - 04-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Re: The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by *Albion* - 04-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Re: The Assyrian Eastern Peshitta? - by gbausc - 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM