Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mari/PEACE update
Shlama all--

We have had a bit of a delay due to production issues, but we are working through it as quickly as possible. Here is what my publisher just told me. Remember, I have been going from his timetable. I want a new date as much as the next person, but I don't have it. I know that since Baruch wants to send me paper copies to proof--something he did not mention before--that it will take a few days for those to get to me from Vancouver, British Columbia. On the other hand, this delay is different. Going to pre-press layout is way different than trying to figure out what goes in the book. It is in layout/pre-press at least before Pesach. My hope was that the on-demand model would allow us to move faster than my publisher has, but there were other things he was dealing with over the last 2 weeks that I was not aware of. There is also some encouraging news as well, which I have bolded. Read on:

Shlama Akhi Andrew,

Ok lots of stuff happening which is why I've been offline for a while.

The possibility of having printed books for Pesach is now looking next to impossible, I suggest that we simply inform all interested parties that the book has gone for layout and prepress and printed books will NOT happen for Pesach. I do believe in miracles Akhi but there is NO WAY I want to mistate our delivery date.

Today was the first day I spent with Leon from New West Press and went over all of the layout specifications and I have a much clearer understanding of what they can and cannot do. I also found out how we are supposed to utilize the page for footnotes to make it professional like most Hebrew/English publications. Essentially the layout guy showed me how we can layout large blocks of footnotes to go over the bottom of both English and Aramaic pages to make it look VERY nice!!! I absolutely LOVE the way it looks now, but there will be some pages with a few inches of whitespace beneath the Aramaic simply because we want to keep a side by side verse by verse layout as much as possible.

So first things first. This last 10 or so days have not been any where near as productive as I expected. I met with Martti on April 6th but it wasn't until this last Friday that I/we saw the first proofs and I don't know whether you printed out and had a look at the sample but there were a few problems with it.

They have a digital press and are able to print within 24 hours of completing the layout however the bookcover will take longer to stamp etc however Marrti also recommended that we can use a laminated cover edition that is used in many hardcover applications that is durable and less costly, so I think this is a very good option.

Ok, let me go back through your emails and make sure I have updated all your requests, right now I'm headed off to supper so will look at this in a bit. Sorry for the delay in replying but I haven't been online much the last few days.

I can mail you a copy of the printed text so that you can see the text for yourself, but need your mailing address.

Blessings,

Baruch

So this is what I know at present. I am sorry to disappoint you folks but don't give up on us yet I beg you. Mari/PEACE is still going to happen in the near future. I want to see it as much as the rest of you as a physical book and so it will be. Please be patient and I will update with more news as soon as I have it.

Shlama w'burkate
Andrew Gabriel Roth

Messages In This Thread
Mari/PEACE update - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 04-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Re: Mari/PEACE update - by *Albion* - 04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Re: Mari/PEACE update - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 04-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE update - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 04-30-2008, 03:37 AM
Re: Mari/PEACE update - by *Albion* - 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Re: Mari/PEACE update - by Andrew Gabriel Roth - 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM